Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
My Gossen and my Weston meters give EV. I've always selected aperture to suit the scene, except when moving objects are a factor.
I guess meters with digital readouts give a single combo of aperture and shutter speed? If so, I've found yet another reason to retain my 50 year old meters. (smiling smiley)
One of my requirements in replacing my Minolta Spot F after its untimely demise was an EV readout and a calculation dial, which is much easier for me for Zone System applications. I found the Sekonic L-488 spot meter, which will output in EV. Unlike the ISO100-only output of the Pentax Spot V, which requires an extra wheel in the calculation dial for film speed, the Sekonic has a film speed setting so that it reads EV for the film speed in use. That makes for a simpler calculation dial, but enough of one to support my requirements.

It will also output in camera settings, but I'm like you. I select aperture on the basis of the look I want, and shutter speed on the basis of the time element in the photo. Then I compromise both as necessary (which may involve filters) to achieve a correct exposure.

Rick "wondering how many of the younger set don't realize that reciprocity exists except at long exposures, which should correctly be called reciprocity failure" Denney