Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WD2D+ & BTZS Tubes

WD2D+ & BTZS Tubes

Will this combination work. I've read that with some pyro developers it introduces to much oxygen?

Re: WD2D+ & BTZS Tubes

Rich, work is a relative term. Yes, it will work, but not as well as 510-Pyro.

Quote Originally Posted by rich caramadre View Post
    Will this combination work. I've read that with some pyro developers it introduces to much oxygen?
    I made up some WD2D from the online formula [not the + version] and because of the Sodium Carbonate part B got very high overall staining using the BTZS tubes. I replaced the Sodium Carbonate part B with the Kodalk [metaborate] part B I use for my PMK and the WD2D developed out to 16 minutes almost the same as the PMK. I don't know what the "+" in WD2D is but suspect it may be EDTA. Nothing to base that on but I followed Gordon Hutchings suggestion of adding EDTA to my PMK and developed in BTZS tubes and the developer returns very evenly spaced film curves out beyond the traditional 16 minutes BTZS test. Any Pyro style developers I have made for use in BTZS tubes with Sodium Carbonate part B have always return lousy looking film curves and very high overall stain as opposed to proportional stain.

I use a JOBO with constant rotation and it seems to work just fine.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Honestly -- 510-Pyro. You could modify other developers to make them more like 510-Pyro, but what's the point?

Jay, is 510 pyro available or is something I would have to make?

You can get a pre-measured kit from Artcraft Chemicals, so you don't need a scale or anything -- just like mixing up D-76 or Xtol, except you mix in TEA instead of water. I think Jay Decker is mixing up a kit even as we speak.

Or... you could just mix up some pyrocat-hd, which is good in trays or rotary, and you don't need TEA.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Or... you could just mix up some pyrocat-hd, which is good in trays or rotary, and you don't need TEA.
    Yes, I second this recommendation based on many years of using Pyrocat-HD for both rotary and small tank processing of sheet and roll film.

510-Pyro is also good in trays, and you only need one solution, which keeps for years on the shelf. I could go into all the other advantages, but I'm sure you've all read them before.