Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: death of fujifilm 8x10?

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: death of fujifilm 8x10?

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    I didn't see any middle-aged bearded white guys giving off view-camera vibes. So, either you never made it to my side of the street, or you don't fit the standard LFPF mold. Would have been nice to shake your hand, at least.
    I usually only stop in on the film side and then zip back out. I was there between 5:15 and 5:30, snagging 8x10 Portra, and a 5-pack of E100VS and Ektar 100. I think it was a week before last that I was on the other side, buying some printer ink.

PM me beforehand, and we can meet up. I'm easy to spot because I'll have my folding red bike with me.

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    Have any of you actually bought and used fuji 8x10 film?
    Yes, ever since Kodak stopped producing E100G.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Have any of you actually bought and used fuji 8x10 film? Perhaps you are more up yourselves than fuji.
    I used some Fuji 50 8x10, long ago. The 80 square inches of repulsive, flourescent-cooked-broccoli greens caused me to avoid Fuji E6 materials like the plague ever since. Which is a shame, Provia was a much nicer film.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    I usually only stop in on the film side and then zip back out. I was there between 5:15 and 5:30, snagging 8x10 Portra, and a 5-pack of E100VS and Ektar 100. I think it was a week before last that I was on the other side, buying some printer ink.

PM me beforehand, and we can meet up. I'm easy to spot because I'll have my folding red bike with me.
    I think I arrived about that time, but I'd already fully explored the film side on Wednesday. I was traveling and didn't want to buy film--I can call them and have it shipped and not worry about taking it through the airport.

Don't know when I'll be back, but I seem to have made it to Seattle a couple of times a year for the last couple, so maybe there will be another shot.

Rick "who walked across Denny Park, Denny Ave., and the Denny Regrade to get there, and no longer wondered why the people at the meeting could never spell Denney right" Denney

I just met a photographer last Friday who shoots 4x10 Provia cut from 8x10 sheets. If Fuji stops 8x10 Provia he is going to be very unhappy.

Don Bryant

I forgot about slide film.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney
    I didn't see any middle-aged bearded white guys giving off view-camera vibes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller
    I'm easy to spot because I'll have my folding red bike with me.
    I know, I need a hat like this: Camera hat, but for LF. Then you'll be able to recognize me. Red bellows and brass would be good.

I forgot about slide film.
    No wonder Kodak dumped it. Forlorn and unloved. Sitting on the sidewalk with a sign, "Expose me," and oblivious pedestrians walk by, fascinated by their cell phones. Like The Little Match Girl, momentarily exposing a frame to keep warm. But the frames run out, and in the morning the little E6 is dead.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Drew Wiley

Here we go again. More unsubstantiated rumors. Maybe we need a whole new section to
    the Forum called, "Panic first, Find out the truth later".

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Here we go again. More unsubstantiated rumors. Maybe we need a whole new section to
    the Forum called, "Panic first, Find out the truth later".
    While I agree with the sentiment, the phenomenon is understandable. Any time a discontinuation rumor appears to turn out to be untrue, just wait a few more months.

If Fuji is still making Astia in spite of their declaration on their own page that they are not, I wish they'd bring it back in 35mm. Unrelated to this thread, I know.

I spoke to fuji UK a couple of months ago. The (quite savvy) saleswoman told me that 8x10 was 'discontinued' in the UK. When I told her it didn't seem to be the case outside of the UK she didn't seem surprised, and said that as far as fuji UK were concerned 8x10 was discontinued. I emailed Japan Exposures the next day, and they replied that it was 'available as usual' over in Japan and that nothing had changed. It would seem like fuji is mostly interested in the home market for some of it's products, but announces this using strange terminology?