Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: fomapan v the rest of the world

Drew Wiley

Re: fomapan v the rest of the world

The Foma 200 was an odd duck for sure, but would separate shadows better than anything
    I've ever used before. Great for extreme lighting. Poor recip characteristics. I gave up on it
    because the odds were only 50/50 that there weren't scratches on the 8X10 sheet from
    the factory. Given this risk, TMY400 might be expensive per sheet, but not per shot!

Cosmic, Foma is an excellent film. Works beautifully in D76, Xtol or Rodinal. It is very sharp, has a classic European look as opposed to that lifeless dull American look. I have shot hundreds of sheets dating from 2005 to current with only one or two problems that may have been handling issues on my part. If you have a 5x4 get some Foma for that, talk directly to Chris at Blanco and get his opinion on what people are doing with the film He will also have example negs as well as prints. This fascination with all things Yellow reminds me sadly of a 3 movie trilogy that was made in New Zealand. If you want more info PM me and we can talk. About the film not the movie.

Steve

Foma has it's issues sometimes but it gives beautiful tonality. I read somewhere recently that the pinholes may be due to little pieces of cutting artifacts and tapping the film before loading gets rid of them. I might start brushing the film before loading. If I only scanned film it would be the only film I used. I still print in the darkroom though so with Fomapan I usually double up on anything I think might be a good image. In smaller formats it is great. If I ever go to a digital workflow I will use it all the time. My favorite films in LF at this point are Efke PL100 followed by HP5. I like using Foma 400 in Grafmatics with my Polaroid 4x5 conversion though since I burn film with it. If I was stuck with only one film at this point I would take HP-5. It is the most solid film.

I just loaded 50 sheets of Fomapan 100 into holders to give it a go instead of the 400 to see if I would like it.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    Foma has it's issues sometimes but it gives beautiful tonality. I read somewhere recently that the pinholes may be due to little pieces of cutting artifacts and tapping the film before loading gets rid of them. I might start brushing the film before loading. If I only scanned film it would be the only film I used. I still print in the darkroom though so with Fomapan I usually double up on anything I think might be a good image. In smaller formats it is great. If I ever go to a digital workflow I will use it all the time. My favorite films in LF at this point are Efke PL100 followed by HP5. I like using Foma 400 in Grafmatics with my Polaroid 4x5 conversion though since I burn film with it. If I was stuck with only one film at this point I would take HP-5. It is the most solid film.

I just loaded 50 sheets of Fomapan 100 into holders to give it a go instead of the 400 to see if I would like it.
    I agree it can be quite nice, under ideal circumstances, and when there are no defects. Hardly a ringing endorsement, I think. Here's an example of the 400 stuff in 120 -- terribly curly stuff, and a real pain to get into a holder for printing/scanning.

[IMG] Juliet in coat and tie by Jay DeFehr, on Flickr[/IMG]

My main film is HP5 but I love TMY-2 til it runs out (gotta be the best film ever), then FP4, X-ray, Efke 25, Efke IR (got a couple of 8x10 boxes)

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

ok so i just found out that arista and fomapan are both one and the same....

so i am going to attempt to find the cheapest source of arista, i think it was freestyle i saw it for $120, does any one get it for less?

thanks
    Andrew
    through a glass darkly...

When you speak of film defects in cheap film such as Efke and Foma, what are you refferring to? I ask because I am not sure I've experience them. I've heard the emulsion can change from box to box. Will try TMY2 though, I haven't shot B/W Kodak in sheet for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    I have been using Efke100 for a while. I do like Efke25 a lot better but my speed graphic sucks at slow speeds. Since I am broke I bought a box of Foma100 on friday. Will see how it goes.
    I was shooting Fomapan 100 with my Yashicamat when we met up in Barcelona last year, and some of the images I showed you were shot with it. It's been my backup film in MF and LF for about 5 years now as I find it easy to get when travelling (as are Ilford films) and it's very competitively priced.

The only problem is taming the contrast with both Fomapan 100 & 200, they build up contrast very quickly, I find they need about 2/3 to 3/4 of the dev times of other films and I shoot both at half the box speeds.

For hand-held LF work with my Crown or Super Graphic then HP5 lets me shoot at 100th @ f22 most of the time.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    The only problem is taming the contrast with both Fomapan 100 & 200, they build up contrast very quickly, I find they need about 2/3 to 3/4 of the dev times of other films and I shoot both at half the box speeds
    I can relate to that. The Foma100 I have shot up until now gave me super dense negatives but I thought it was a mistake on my side. I underdevelop Efke too.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    ok so i just found out that arista and fomapan are both one and the same....

so i am going to attempt to find the cheapest source of arista, i think it was freestyle i saw it for $120, does any one get it for less?

thanks
    Andrew
    "Arista" is Freestyle's house brand name for other manufacturer's stuff. "Arista.edu Ultra" is their house name for Foma film, "Arista Premium" is Kodak, etc. Consequently, you won't find "Arista" anywhere but Freestyle.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.