Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: fomapan v the rest of the world

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: fomapan v the rest of the world

thanks mike found foma in norway at 82 euros, have to suss out shipping.
    through a glass darkly...

hacker extraordinaire

I had a foma 100 sheet that had a coating defect--a very distinct, round bubble about 2mm across. Of course, it was in the sky. It's the only coating defect I've seen on any film. The film is beautiful, but if I have to shoot 2 sheets to hedge against a coating defect, I can afford to shoot TMY, which is what I usually do.
    Science is what we understand well enough to explain to a computer. Art is everything else we do.
    --A=B by Petkovšek et. al.

I only use other brands than Foma if someone gives it to me for free....

(I like it that much, and don't have much money.... good combination)

I'll go along with Emil and I would like to confirm that the bloke in Norway is really good to deal with. I'll be back onto him soon.
    Pete.

Drew Wiley

I too had an instance of pinhole defects in Foma 200, and it was right in the middle of a
    sky in a shot that took a lot of effort to get. And by the way, this film was never even
    close to 200 speed, but around 100. That's a huge difference in speed between TMY, esp in 8x10 where it really counts. But still, the unique tonality of this film would make it truly
    tempting for certain applications, and I did get a few magnificent prints in those lucky cases where I could retouch or crop the scratches. It would be helpful if anyone using
    current 200 Arista film would provide feedback concerning current quality control.

Well I've got through a few hundred sheets of Foma 200 with no problems (the same applies to Foma 100). All that I can say is use a pre-wash, use a diluted developer, use a water stop bath and use a neurtral or alkali fixer, no problems. I also use a Patterson Orbital with contstant agitation. Send me all your "problem" Foma film and I'll test at least 50% of the sheets for you at no cost to yourselves.
    Pete.

Drew Wiley

Got nothin' to do with scratches in processing - I can tell when that happens. The scratches I had were always parallel to the film margin itself, typically about an inch in, so were obviously due to how the film was transported thru cutting or packaging. And the problem was on most of the sheets. It was a dry scratch, not wet like the tear-effect when film is soft. You could see it on unexposed sheets even. Arista-branded film.

Unless you are truly poverty -stricken (in which case there are other,cheaper,ways to spend your time), I can think of no worse thing than to take a momentous image and find its integrity compromised by a coating defect.
    False economy? - I think so.
    If you are testing lenses,or looking for a light leak,or refining your technique,second-tier films have their place.

Price is right, that's all I gotta say about Fomapan (aka Arista EDU)!

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Well I've got through a few hundred sheets of Foma 200 with no problems (the same applies to Foma 100). All that I can say is use a pre-wash, use a diluted developer, use a water stop bath and use a neurtral or alkali fixer, no problems. I also use a Patterson Orbital with contstant agitation. Send me all your "problem" Foma film and I'll test at least 50% of the sheets for you at no cost to yourselves.
    Pete.
    water stop bath?
    alkali fixer?
    pray tell...
    through a glass darkly...