Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chrome Sinar P

Re: Chrome Sinar P

Congrats on your new camera, Jay.

I have an 8x10 P that I bought for a very good deal from a studio that was switching to 4x5 digital. The studio said they bought it from Bill Diebold whose name is engraved on the rail clamp. http://www.debold.com/ From what I can tell just looking at the camera (the back in particular), it has seen a lot of film go through it. The rear knobs have a bit of play, but everything works as it should. As Drew said, these things were built to last for years of professional use.

Thanks, Tony,

I haven't actually seen my camera, but I have it on good authority the camera is in good condition. At my most ambitious, I don't think I could come close to putting any real demand on the camera, but I plan to do my best to wear it out.

Debold's site is very nice. I wish there were more teachers like him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cunningham View Post
    I think film cameras will become more and more affordable as the market continues to swing to digital. Film cameras once worth thousands are now worth only hundreds.
    Jerry
    I don't know about that - seems like prices have been creeping up the last couple of years. I think that at this point in time anybody still using film is going out of their way to use it - there probably isn't a massive wave of "digital swing" left. Short of a total shutdown of film production or film prices that are so prohibitive that nobody uses it I wouldn't count on film camera prices dropping all that much from current levels. Moral of the story - if you find something that you really want and gotta have I wouldn't hold off due to the assumption that prices will be much lower down the line (although I hope I am wrong - there is still a lot of film equipment WAY out of my financial reach)

Quote Originally Posted by dap View Post
    I don't know about that - seems like prices have been creeping up the last couple of years. I think that at this point in time anybody still using film is going out of their way to use it - there probably isn't a massive wave of "digital swing" left. Short of a total shutdown of film production or film prices that are so prohibitive that nobody uses it I wouldn't count on film camera prices dropping all that much from current levels. Moral of the story - if you find something that you really want and gotta have I wouldn't hold off due to the assumption that prices will be much lower down the line (although I hope I am wrong - there is still a lot of film equipment WAY out of my financial reach)
    I completely agree. I sell camera equipment on Ebay. Some items have stabilized in price while the popular stuff has been slowly creeping back up some. If you want it, buy it now and enjoy it!

Dap
    Thanks for your input. I have been out of LF for a few years and I recently bought a Sinar P for a good price. I have noticed that film selection is down and the prices seem higher. The advise of Mr. Gales is good. If you want something better buy and enjoy it.l