Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FEISOL PB90 Between Gitzo GT4330LS Tripod and Ries A250-2 Head for Panning?

FEISOL PB90 Between Gitzo GT4330LS Tripod and Ries A250-2 Head for Panning?

Hi all,

I just placed an order for a Ries A250-2 head to compare with my Arca Swiss Monoball B2 head. Both will be used with a Gitzo GT4330LS tripod. This set up is for a Deardorff V11 which weighs in at 28lbs before lens. The only potential "issue" that I anticipate running into with the Ries on the Gitzo is the absence of panning which is built into Ries's tripods and consequently not built into the heads. I've read a few discussions regarding this and overall people have found various solutions and many state that it isn't bothersome for the most part. In an effort to cover my bases I've been looking for large panning bases that could be put between the Gitzo and the Ries which would provide panning if I decide I need it and want to keep the tripod head combination.

I've read a bit about the FEISOL PB90 panning base which is low profile and rated with a load capacity up to 83.8lbs which is more then enough for the V11. I'm wondering if anyone can offer accounts of using this panning base to provide panning when using a larger Ries head with a Gitzo. I'm wondering if the difference in diameter of the FEISOL surface (3.5 inch) and the Ries (6 inch) would be problematic or a weak point. Any help and insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: FEISOL PB90 Between Gitzo GT4330LS Tripod and Ries A250-2 Head for Panning?

I have a Feisol panning base. I use it mainly for panorama use. It's ok, but it's not up to the quality of the other items you're talking about. It would be a weak link, imo.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

If the Ries head is so much larger, you might find it difficult to manipulate the screw on the panning base.

Here is some info if you have not seen it:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...p/t-74623.html

Peter, thanks for the account. I was hoping it was of a higher quality.

Jeroldharter, thanks for the link. So far it seems like I should keep looking for a better option.

Are there any large panning bases made for large format? I'm surprised at how difficult this is to find. I've read many accounts of people using the same and similar combos to what I'll be using so I would image someone would have made an appropriate panning base.

why aren´t you considering a ries tripod for the Ries A250-2 ? to me it seems to be a natural combination, particulary for a deardorf 11x14?
    if you want to use the gitzo 4330 i would look for the manfrotto 400 head. it has a very convenient quick release system and if fully geared. you just have to drop it inside the head. pretty handy for such a big and heavy camera.
    from an aestetical point of view a big wooden camera deserves a big wooden tripod.
    boris

Aesthetics aren't what I make decisions based on although I do agree that the V11 would look best on a full Ries setup. The Gitzo 4330 has a greater load capacity then the Ries A100 tripod and a little less then the A100-2 and at half the weight of both. I've used Gitzo for a long time and prefer their tripods overall. I'm sure I would like a Ries tripod but the extra weight makes a difference when I'm already carrying an 11x14 kit. What can I say? I like what I like.

I just checked, and my Feisol is a PB 90. If you'd like, you could use mine for a few weeks for the cost of shipping. PM me if you want to do that.

-Peter
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Francesco, Imhav a Gitzo 3540 XLS with a universal Bogen adapter on it which allows me to interchange heads. I use a plain old Bogen 3 way head with my 11x14 and on the carbon tripod, it's rock steady..

Peter, thank you for the generous offer! I'm working on a very tight schedule as it is but I'll PM you to see if we can arrange something in the window I have. It may just be easier to purchase one.

Evan, i don't like traditional three way heads for the most part. The Arca head I have is robust and I have no uncertainty that it can handle the V11 like a champ but I am interested in the greatest stability possible. For that it's going to be either the Arca or the Ries heads for me. That much I'm fairly certain of as far as my equipment and preferences go.

In general, I agree. I have 5 Arca cameras and use a Cube for almost everything. I have found the 3 way to ne top knotch for my 11x14 Cheers and good luck with the big boy..Evab