Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FEISOL PB90 Between Gitzo GT4330LS Tripod and Ries A250-2 Head for Panning?

Re: FEISOL PB90 Between Gitzo GT4330LS Tripod and Ries A250-2 Head for Panning?

5 Arca's!! Geeze! The Cube is a work of art *drool. Oh, I updated the other thread in which you posted about the BullPac if you wanna check it out. Thanks for the insight!

I bought mine from Kerry at Really Big Cameras. He told me to check it out and send it back if I didn't like it. I'm sure you could arrange something similar.

Otherwise, there's this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ling_Base.html

Or this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=REG&A=details
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I've been calling Kerry all day and got no answer. Seeing as I'm working on a tight schedule I need to get this figured out asap.
    I've seen the leveling base, actually have one at the store I work at used but it doesn't have the rated capacity I'm looking for. I hadn't seen the Gitzo Panoramic Disc you linked to. That looks like a better version of the FEISOL. It says its load capacity is 26.46lbs. How is it that the FEISOL's load capacity could be 80lbs?

As far as I know, manufactures simply make up load ratings. There's no standard.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thats a shame. Well I'm not comfortable with the load capacity of the Gitzo and I don't believe the FEISOL rating. I'm just going to see how I like the Ries without pan and see if it bothers me. I always have the Arca to fall back on anyway and I can put a set of sticks under the Ries head anytime.

Francesco,

You said you were going to assist M+P? I assisted them in Iceland in 2010, and they're pretty "set in their ways" with using a Ries tilt/swivel head, Paula with the 8x10 KMV and Michael with his 12x20(with 8x20 back) Deardorff.

What I'd suggest is waiting until you meet up with them, and see their setup, and how they work with it. Its actually somewhat liberating, and IMO, their method works very well. And once its set, its ROCK SOLID.

-Dan

Hi Dan, where you in Iceland with David Emitt Adams? He's a good friend of mine and assisted them in Iceland as well although I'm not sure on which trip. I think I might just spend the last bit of cash I have and pick up a Ries A100-2 to bring out with me. That way I'll be able to pick which I really like more and sell the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragomeni View Post
    Hi Dan, where you in Iceland with David Emitt Adams? He's a good friend of mine and assisted them in Iceland as well although I'm not sure on which trip. I think I might just spend the last bit of cash I have and pick up a Ries A100-2 to bring out with me. That way I'll be able to pick which I really like more and sell the other.
    Hey Francesco,

Yes, David and I were on the same trip with them in 2010. Since you've mentioned its your last bit of cash, I'd save your money for your trip, you mever know when a blowout might happen or something outside your control.

When you arrive in PA, see if M+P have an extra set of Ries sticks that you can borrow for a short time so you can ”try before you buy” so to speak.

Ries tripods are very well built, and can last a long time. But just like cars, different people like different things. I love my giant tele studex tripod(series 5), and its heavy, but very solid.

But unless you already have spare emergency cash allocated for your cross-country trip, I'd recommend having some cash rather than a new tripod.

Dan

Dan, this is my last bit of "spending cash". I've got emergency money saved up for the trip (unless I go crazy and spend that too, haha). I already spoke with Michael a little earlier and he said the same thing, to just use one of theirs for now to see if I like it and then buy one later if that is the case. Saves me from spending money now which is a good thing!