Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing myself

Introducing myself

Hi All,

I have to confess upfront I have joined this forum in order to utilise the vast knowledge of Large Format Photography held within its bounds.

I have been involved with photography in one way or another since 1979, the only time until today I have held a 'Large Format Camera' was whilst at College in 1979 during a photography segment of my electronics course. We were given a grounding in photography as part of the course and whilst it concentrated on 35mm processing and developing there was an assignment for medium format and also large format.

It turned out that I was extremely taken with photography and have been involved with it in some form or other ever since. During the mid 1980s I became a 'weekend warrior' doing local weddings and portrait sessions this eventually became a full time occupation between 1994 and 1998, as cameras became more and more 'intelligent' and allowed the average Joe to take half decent images there was less work around and it became a bit of a battle between the social photographers in the area for the remaining work so when an opportunity came around to do something different I took it and walked away from photography for a while and along with it went my Hasselblads and superb colour darkroom.

As is usually the case though with something like this the lure of photography dragged me back and I bought a digital bridge camera, this then became a Nikon DSLR and then a Canon FF DSLR and then strangely enough a Hasselblad H1D before the lure of film drew me back. There is something about film that just cannot be felt with a digital image. So although I still have my Hasselblad H1D (on which I also use a film back) and a Fuji X10 (which is a great little snapshot camera) I now have a pair of Pentax LXs, A Fuji GX680Mk3 and as from today a Toyo C Monorail Camera which I had intended using with a 6x9 back as I did not think I currently had the means to process 5x4 film. This has all changed today as I am now aware of the Taco method of processing 5x4 film and cannot wait now until I can get some 5x4 film and have a go.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Introducing myself

Welcome, Ed! There are alll sorts of methods for processing sheet film; it's just a matter of figuring which works right for you. Good luck with your "tacos"!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Thanks for the welcome Mark.

How's it goin' eh? Welcome to the world of large format!

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Hello Ed, welcom to the for, ummm.

all you need to do sheet film is a few trays and a heap of darkness.

a few chemicals and water will guarantee good results, but it is really really simple...even i can do it.
    through a glass darkly...

This is a great forum, and many knowledgable folks that are willing to share their expertise.
    Have fun!
    Keith

Many thanks Gents for your welcome.

Welcome from Staffordshire. A good film anyway, and cheap enough to practice with is Foma, the 200 is my favourite but it's not available in the UK at the moment. AG in Brum or Silverprint in London are two of the places that stock Foma. A device that fits into a Patterson 3 reel tank and holds 6 (I think) shets of 4x5 film is available. Silverprint stock them and Patterson had one on their stand at Focus this year. We say 4x5 here 'cos 5x4 pees off that lot over the pond and gets them all moaning. The greatest device for developing 4x5 and 5x7 in my opinion, is the good old Patterson Orbital Paper Tank / tray. You see them on e bay but they are not cheap.
    Good luck,
    Pete.

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

thanks for heads up pete

i use fomapan here in sydney but it is $225 or 144pounds so i found fomofoto.com where one seems to be able to order online!

you seem to think it pretty average, what film do you think is better?

thanks

andrew
    through a glass darkly...

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Welcome from Staffordshire. A good film anyway, and cheap enough to practice with is Foma, the 200 is my favourite but it's not available in the UK at the moment. AG in Brum or Silverprint in London are two of the places that stock Foma. A device that fits into a Patterson 3 reel tank and holds 6 (I think) shets of 4x5 film is available. Silverprint stock them and Patterson had one on their stand at Focus this year. We say 4x5 here 'cos 5x4 pees off that lot over the pond and gets them all moaning. The greatest device for developing 4x5 and 5x7 in my opinion, is the good old Patterson Orbital Paper Tank / tray. You see them on e bay but they are not cheap.
    Good luck,
    Pete.
    Thanks for the welcome Pete and for the advice. I have ordered a Paterson 3 Reel tank and the MOD54 from Firstcall. I also purchased a Paterson Orbital Processor yesterday for £45 perhaps to use in the future. I think I will make a lot more use of th 3 Reel tank and MOD54 adapter as I am very fond of using Caffenol CL with a semi-stand technique and hope that it will work as well with 4x5 (see, learning already).

I have ordered 100 sheets of 4x5 Tri-X (2x 50) which should arrive early next week.

I am going to ask this question in another thread, but are 'bits' compatible between systems? If I want a Wide Angle Bellows for my Toyo C do I have to buy a specific Toyo fit one or will any one from a different manuafacturer fit?