I knew that I was in for some testing when the new 320 Tri-X became available
and have finally completed that. I was amazed at how differently it behaved.
The longer development times were seen, but way longer than Kodak suggested.
Also I found that N+1 was just barely achievable and N+2 was not achievable
though I got close. N+1 and N+2 expansions stopped expanding at certain development
times and would really not go much further even with further time. I had had
no problem with this with the old Tri-X. I thought many of you might be interested
in my results just to see what is happening with this "new" film
at least in one photographer's darkroom.
My technique is as follows: Xtol 1:1, 68 degrees, Jobo CPP-2, 3010 Expert
drum, tap water, no pre-wet, standard stop-fix-wash cycle, densitometer warmed
up and stable. My ISO came out at 320 with a density of 0.10 above fb+fog.
My goal for development time testing was 1.25-1.30 for Zone VIII
<table width="372" border="1">
<td width="65">N Factor </td>
<td width="75">Old Tri-X </td>
<td width="210">New Tri-X </td>
<td>14:00 density stopped at 1.12 </td>
<td>11:30 density stopped at 1.21 </td>
I was disappointed to see that the film is having troubles for expansion,
but perhaps selenium toning of the negative can make up for some of this and
I will probably abandon using N+2 developments through expansion of development
I hope this has been interesting to some of you.