Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mthod(s) to delete FS ads when the item(s) sell

Re: Mthod(s) to delete FS ads when the item(s) sell

On APUG, which I think uses the same software, you can 'close the thread' when the item is sold. Here on LFPF, the mods have that disabled, so the person posting the ad can't close it to further comments. I doubt the mods want to go and fiddle with 50 postings a day in the Classifieds but I have no idea why they disabled the 'close thread' feature for the original poster. I'm sure there is a logical reason for it.

Personally, I like the old ads there. I've learned heaps of things from them about many lenses and cameras.

Richard

I wouldn't want classified ads closed less than 30 days after a deal is made. It seems appropriate to leave ads open to comments for a reasonable amount of time. Otherwise no one will ever know how deals turned out for both parties. Even if other threads are started for follow-up to deals... those are "disconnected from" those deals... folks may never find the new threads/comments.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
    "Well figured out" doesn't imply it's the optimal method of doing things, Henry, and it's rather insulting to refer to my request as a "whim". It's a legitimate issue and appears to have some merit, as others seem to show with their comments.

I have no problem with leaving the posts on the board; in fact, based on the comments above, I'd agree that is better than removing them. I'd simply like something to show an item has sold without having to scroll through all of the subsequent posts before I find one that says the item(s) sold. It could be something as simple as a color change of the title, or dimming the post title. Neither are difficult to implement, and it would solve what I believe to be an existing problem with the "accessory".

Yes, the mods have other things to do, Hank, but that doesn't preclude their fixing what may be problematic issues with any part of the site! I have no problem taking on some of that responsibility, if that will make you happy. Perhaps the best solution is for the OPs to manage their own posts, and mark the ones sold when the time comes, without any need to bother the mods! That may take some time to work out the coding, but a few hours up front can prevent repeated requests to delete or otherwise mark FS posts to show the item(s) have sold. Really, Henry, you make it sound like re-coding the OS of the site to require dozens of man-days of labor when it might take nothing more than a single additional line of code.

I suggest we let the mods decide what is most important, where they should expend their resources and allow them to modify the operating plan as they see fit - even little "whims" like mine.
    Your response illustrates my point better than I could have imagined.

All you have to do is PM the seller to see if the item is still available.
    This place is not "all about you". Stick around, make some contribution of some kind or at least take part in the conversations here before you take charge.

"Well figured out" doesn't imply it's the optimal method of doing things, Henry, and it's rather insulting to refer to my request as a "whim". It's a legitimate issue and appears to have some merit, as others seem to show with their comments.
    Judging from your posting history, it seems your interest in this forum is to sell equipment. I wouldn't complain too much about the status quo since your 'ads' here are free. So yeah your request comes across as self serving.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Your response illustrates my point better than I could have imagined.

All you have to do is PM the seller to see if the item is still available.
    This place is not "all about you". Stick around, make some contribution of some kind or at least take part in the conversations here before you take charge.

Then you've missed the point completely, Hank. Do people wish to read through several - sometimes pages - of posts before reaching the one that says, "Item(s) sold." I don't think so. I have stated that I have no problem with the posts remaining; I simply want an indicator at the title level - no need to open the thread - to show the item(s) have sold. Again, grey out the post, change the color of the post, etc. That would not be difficult to implement.

I can imagine just how well your method would work! PM to seller: "Hey, did your item(s) sell?" Response from seller: "Yes, I posted that clearly in the thread! You obviously didn't take the time to read through the thread before bugging me, did you?"

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Judging from your posting history, it seems your interest in this forum is to sell equipment. I wouldn't complain too much about the status quo since your 'ads' here are free. So yeah your request comes across as self serving.

Don Bryant
    So, Don, you're able to discern all of my interests in this forum, the categories I choose to follow closely, based solely on what I've posted? Really?

BTW, my comment was not a complaint, but a suggestion to improve usability. Is it forbidden to suggest improvements?

So, Don, you're able to discern all of my interests in this forum, the categories I choose to follow closely, based solely on what I've posted? Really?
    In your case, yes. As I said, your suggestion coupled to your FS posts come across as self serving.

It is kind of overwhelming to go to a for sale section of a given forum and see page after page of entries without any indication of sold or available to it. Personally I've given up on buying anything from anywhere with a similar for sale structure, but then again I don't come here to buy gear.