Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Value of upgrading from CS3 to CS6?

Re: Value of upgrading from CS3 to CS6?

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Eiger View Post
    They still don't understand that some people work with large files and they would like it to open and save within reason. They think a really large file is 30 megs. I think most of us have a love/hate relationship with the program and company. It's essential to what we do, but its also expensive, and I think, as a company, they are extremely arrogant and seriously out of touch their users.

Lenny
    One nice improvement in CS6 is that files save in the background. So you can initiate the save, and then continue to work on that image (or another image). You don't have to wait until the file saving has completed anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Absolutely not. I use both-PC at home in the studio and Macbook Pro in the field. No difference worth even commenting on. Except the odd plugin that won't run on both.
    Excellent! With that question answered, I pulled the trigger on the new box, i7-3820 processor, solid-state drive, 64 Gb of memory, 2 Gb video card, dual 24" monitors, and few tb of hard disk drives - that ought to make the Photoshop happy for a little while.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    One nice improvement in CS6 is that files save in the background. So you can initiate the save, and then continue to work on that image (or another image). You don't have to wait until the file saving has completed anymore.
    This would be a very useful feature. I am still on CS3, thinking of doing the upgrade they are offering to those of us on the dinosaur versions.

The content aware spot tool is worth it alone.

I've upgraded since the CS version.
    But Content aware spot and 64 bit are the two only big reasons to upgrade, otherwise I would probably have been quite happy with just CS.
    Perfection is a moving target.

Adobe lets you try it for 30 days for free. Do that when you get your new computer. Download the trial and use it yourself. There is no better way to see whether or not its worth it han to try it yourself.

When I bought my new computer a few years ago, there were a couple of promotions and discounts that I took advantage of.

First, I work at an educational institution which allowed me to get the educator's discount on hardware but, also, there was a promotion which gave me the entire Adobe CS4 suite for $250.00 if I had purchased a new computer within the last 30 days. I had to send them a copy of a recent pay stub to prove that I worked at an educational institution and I had to send a copy of the receipt from my computer purchase but it was a small price to pay for the whole kit and kaboodle.

Further, if you work at a company that has an enterprise license for Adobe products and you can get your boss to agree that it would be beneficial for you to be able to work at home, you could get a copy of the software undere the business's license. (Provided you actually do produce work for the company's benefit from home.)

Just think creatively. There are several ways to get discounts or personal subsidies on new software upgrades if you consider all your options.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

The Adobe website says that they will have an introductory upgrade price to CS 6 from CS3 and CS4. It will end 12/31. No idea how attractive (or unattractive) the price will be, but I think they mean it about the end date.

On CS4 now, so I might have to check into that upgrade. Just hope it supports my old Mac Pro.

Yes, 2006 is old now!

I have CS5 and there's several features that seem better than 4.
    For one, the print/page setup dialog boxes are better with a rough approximation of the effect of your selected profile in the dialog box among other things. Paper selections seem easier. There's only one rather than 2 dialog boxes to actually print.
    Also, when you use the stamp or other tools on the background layer, it seems to do better job of incorporating the changes into other layers above. I used to make an extra "retouch" layer on top of everything, but its not necessary now.
    Lastly, CS5 seems to handle the 2 or more images side-by-side better. That feature was available on 4 but I could never get it to work.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com