Thread: Book Designer Wanted

Book Designer Wanted

I've published a number of books using Blurb, and the results are adequate.

My latest project, large format portraits taken 20 years apart in a rural Nicaraguan village, deserves a quality layout and design.

Can anyone recommend a book designer?

Thanks!

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Re: Book Designer Wanted

if you look more broadly for graphic designers in general you may have luck.

a lot of designers do a wide scope of work, but may have worked in web design catalogue design etc so a book is not out of their abilities, just not their speciality. like wedding photography, may not be yours but you could do it with your eyes shut.

so it comes down to knowing the look you want, or even the style, ie modern v classical, to be broad, and then seeking out talent, in the design world.

if it were me i would first look into local or online publishing houses, even write to the people who publish your book online, they may know.

then i would look for local young designers, network, ask around, ads up at local design schools or uni's?

better to have fresh talent that may be cheaper?

all this has prob crossed your mind but oh well....
    through a glass darkly...

I had a graphic designer do the layout for my book, she previously worked for Random House and is very knowledgeable. I also had an ex-girlfriend who is an editor do the editing. I used Starprint Brokers to do the printing and they would also do the designing, if you wished. I thought the quality was good for the price. I have seen worse that are more expensive, not to mention names, but some art books come out way too saturated. If your interested in more information send me a private message.
    Thad Gerheim

Hi Robert,

I'm a graphic designer. If you're interested in seeing our work and discussing your book project shoot me an email. I'll send you a link to our site, etc

Serge

I used to design books professionally. Find a book you like and use it for inspiration (don't copy it!) and hire a good print designer. Most so-called graphic designers have no freaking clue and nobody knows how to edit....

PMs sent
    Last edited by Robert Kalman; 20-Apr-2012 at 02:33. Reason: Needed to modify from singular to plural

We specialize in book design and layout. Please look at our portfolio http://www.desktype-asia.com . You can also email us at desktype@gmail.com

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I used to design books professionally. Find a book you like and use it for inspiration (don't copy it!) and hire a good print designer. Most so-called graphic designers have no freaking clue and nobody knows how to edit....
    Frank is absolutely right. I work as a university publisher, so I know a little about this. A book designer should be able to show you published, impeccably produced photographic books that he/she has faultlessly designed. Your designer should be able to help with editing and (this is important) with production management. When you use a young, inexpensive designer, you can easily become an unfortunate Beta Test.

Book design is probably no longer covered in modern college design programs unless someone digs for it on their own. Here in Rochester you can take classes in making art books as objects, but nobody is teaching how to make a legible, traditional Western culture book... And we are supposedly the center for this sort of thing in the USA, with a long history of having the leading technical institute, now mostly defunct printers, and one of the last remaining good industrial bookbindries left.

Blurb is a great way to proof and learn. I'd do a little research, starting by Googling, "jan tschichold book design" ;-)

We, at Lodima Press (www.lodimapress.com) have a great designer. Very reasonable cost. Contact me if you want more information. My email address can be found at www.lodimapress.com

Michael A. Smith