Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Re: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

I have a majestic head. I did the things recommended to take care of front to back free play and side to side free play. Front to back and side to side are fine now. But I have a tiny bit of free play as I rotate the top from right to left and left to right.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David

Scott Davis

Apologies for reviving an old thread, but... anyone have any ideas where I could get a different size top plate for a Majestic head? I've got a head with the 4x5"-ish top plate, but I'd like to get one of the 7x7 inch ones for use with my 14x17. I don't want to buy another entire head or even head plus tripod just to get a top plate.

There are really only two viable options for you to consider and I assume you exhausted the initial one of trying to find a replacement head. Majestic heads were all over the place for some time and for some reason they have dried up. It happens. The only option I could suggest is to just have one made for you. Four bolts hold it on the head from below. That way you get the size you want and a 3/8" screw for your 14x17 camera. If you want an original base plate here is what I would suggest. I needed a 3/8" spring loaded screw for my 6x6" base plate to support my 32# Deardorff Marine V11 camera. Could not find one anywhere. I ended up speaking to the owner of the company that manufactured the head (Bencher) in Chicago I believe and he ended up sending me the technical drawings so I could pass them on to a machinist friend who set me up a 3/8" make up assembly like new. Most importantly I learned from the owner that there are actually TWO set screws in the spring loaded make up assembly from the manufacturer. My machinist was most appreciative of that information. I still have the technical drawing. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    ....I ended up speaking to the owner of the company that manufactured the head (Bencher) in Chicago I believe and he ended up sending me the technical drawings so I could pass them on to a machinist friend who set me up a 3/8" make up assembly like new. Most importantly I learned from the owner that there are actually TWO set screws in the spring loaded make up assembly from the manufacturer. My machinist was most appreciative of that information. I still have the technical drawing. Good Luck!
    Michael, would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the technical drawings for the spring loaded 3/8" screw as I would like to machine one for one of my tripods.
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 9.29.38 AM.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	50.2 KB 
ID:	217729

I will post it for everyone's consumption concurrently.

Thanks Michael
    Brass is a metal alloy, not a lens type - MichaelE

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jacketch/

My pleasure.

Remember if you provide these drawings to a machinist to disassemble your screw assembly and install the 3/8" screw he will make for you - remind him:

There are actually TWO set screws in the spring loaded make up assembly from the manufacturer. One inside the other. My machinist was most appreciative of that information.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    Apologies for reviving an old thread, but... anyone have any ideas where I could get a different size top plate for a Majestic head? I've got a head with the 4x5"-ish top plate, but I'd like to get one of the 7x7 inch ones for use with my 14x17. I don't want to buy another entire head or even head plus tripod just to get a top plate.
    I was browsing thru Craigslist for Las Vegas and found this guy: Nik Colyer 530-265-3566, nik @ Nikcolyer.com. He's got a bunch of glowing referalls on his add-with listed #'s! Look under "skilled trades" in services. NOTICE: I don't know Mr. Colyer and I've never used him. However, I know how hard it is to find a machinist that will work with you !

Scott Davis

I ended up finding a second Majestic head with the bigger platform for 2/3 the price of the first one, so I added it to my arsenal. Now I need to get an adapter post so I can use it on regular tripods! But that should be easy for any machinist to make.

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Davis View Post
    I ended up finding a second Majestic head with the bigger platform for 2/3 the price of the first one, so I added it to my arsenal. Now I need to get an adapter post so I can use it on regular tripods! But that should be easy for any machinist to make.
    See post #32.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky