Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Where does one get either spare parts for, or refurbishing of, Majestic tripod heads? Mine is well used (read abused?) and needs new gearing inside. I don't know what model number it is as that info was erased years ago but it's for my 8x10 and it "wobbles" way too much now - even after adjusting the obvious.

Any ideas?

I believe Majestic is part of Bencher now. http://www.bencher.com/tripods.html

Indeed they are, Bob. Thanks for the quick and correct info.

Daniel,

If the parts are just worn and not broken, the "wobble" can usually be adjusted out. Does it wobble fore-aft or side-to-side? Also, parts for grey-colored heads are reportedly out of production. Parts for black-colored heads reportedly can still be purchased.

Thanks!

Steve

Daniel,

You see these pods on "that auction site" fairly frequently... it might be worthwhile to look at finding a head on the auction block. I'd imagine the cost of these heads and/or repairs wouldn't be all that inexpensive.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Good luck.
    Life in the fast lane!

I bought the large geared head on feebay...$65.00

Dan,

Here's the quick answer for slop you can try first.

For side-to-side slop, loosen the camera mounting plate until it is very loose. Now loosen the two allen set screws that hold the upright arms to the shaft. Take a large C-clamp and use it to LIGHTLY (just a bit more than finger pressure) press the arms against the head and retighten the set screws. Remove the C-clamp. Retighten the camera mounting plate.

For fore-aft slop, loosen the set screw in the side of the crank and then tighten the center screw on the end of the shaft. If this doesn't work, you can remove the end plate and shaft assembly and inside you'll see a washer on the shaft between some of the parts. You'll need one slightly thicker. If the shaft isn't bent from having been dropped on the handle, it's pretty easy.

E-mail if you need more detailed instructions..

Thanks!

Steve

Thanks all for the suggestions folks;

As for the "wobbling", it is fore-aft as opposed to side-side. It is not caused by misadjustments. Rather, it is because the main gear's teeth are indeed chewed up and worn from not enough gentility. Furthermore, the shaft, where the allen screws hold the bed on either side, is also badly grooved and chewed up introducing yet more wobbling. This "chewing up" happens when the tripod is laid down causing all the weight to be felt where the gear and the drive screw meet and on the two allen screws contact points with the shaft. It's too much weight/pressure for those weak contact points. I found that out too late. Yes, all my fault! I'm now leaving it upright or with under-support when laid down. In the meantime, I am hunting for spare parts for this noble old beast.

Thanks again.

Re: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

I just won a Majestic 1200 on the bay. It is missing the top screw (the one that fixes the camera to the head). Looking around it seems that what is missing is like a little top-hat shaped washer/spacer with he screw. Anyone here with a 1200 head able to give me an idea as to what size/parts these may be so that I can fashion something up from a hardware store? Thread size etc.
    Cheers

Lachlan 717

Re: Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Alex,

Have a look at a clip washer. The only point that this washer has is to stop the bolt from dropping out. A clip washer like these. would be best, or even one of these circles should work.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky