I am traveling abroad with 8x10 view camera and new TXP film (factory packaged 10/sheets/box about 20 boxes) to Eastern Europe with 3+ changes in aircraft each way. I am concerned about x-rays damaging the film vs. requesting a hand-search, which may ultimately lead to security personnel opening a box of film. I will have lots of carry-on gear to keep track of during security screenings. If I opt for film going through carry-on X-ray, is there a better way of doing this so that less damage is done? I read in the Kodak info that changing the direction the film is oriented for each x-ray pass could be helpful.

I am considering opening the factory sealed boxes of 10 sheets each and repacking into old 50 sheet boxes to consolidate the film into a smaller space. This would make it easier to carry-on the film & gear. Is there a down side to doing this? If the film is densely packed, will the x-ray needed/used be more intense? If film is packed in a foil-coated envelope, does this mean the x-ray strength will be turned up?

I read the general info on this forum regarding air travel with LF gear from 2001, and from this I now understand that most people are NOT experiencing problems from multiple carry-on x-rays of sheet film with ISOs as high as 400. Is there anyone with more recent experience who can confirm this, please?

Any tips that may be pertinent to air travel with sheet film and LF gear would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks... (this is my first post to LF Forum)