Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fold chamonix with lens inside?

Re: Fold chamonix with lens inside?

I can also store my Fujinon 150 f6.3 inside my Wista DX -without putting the lens board in backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Actually this lens can 100% be stored inside the camera (between the bellows and the ground glass), no problem. And it's a great lens. So don't poop on my party, ok?
    No one is pooping on your party. Reversing the lens and wrapping the lens to protect the GG doesn't seem too practical to me, but my response was directed to the OP not directed to your setup. Obviously the Fuji performs well but I don't see the gain of packing the lens like that when you have to take it out and reverse it to shoot. Since it is such a small lens why not place it in a camera wrap and carry it with the shutter release already attached. You still need to carry other stuff as well so the setup you describe doesn't seem to gain much, at least from my view.

My Chamonix is small and light whilst my lenses are much more bulky and heavier except for my 150 mounted in a small copal. To each his own ...

Same problem with Nagaoka. Even my tiny little 12 cm Dagor won't fold into it, not even with the lens board reversed. It is, I think, the only fault of a wonderful camera.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

So... we can have a thicker camera that will fold with ONE lens attached... or a thinner camera that won't fold with ONE lens attached. I'll take the thinner camera.

I measured carefully and there is about 49mm or so to put a lens under the ground glass, sorta inside the bellows when it is folded. Another strategy is reversing the lens and the lensboard in the front standard. There is barely enough room for a retaining ring before it lifts the front standard a bit from where it sits on carbon fiber extension board (maybe 2-3mm). So this may work with the tiny fuji 150 and maybe other lenses. I could not find a multicoated option with that small of a back element. Thanks for posting the photos from the fuji.

So I got a sironar-n 135 and it fits under the ground glass on a flat lens board. I appreciate everybody's help and advice. It is really nice to carry a super small bag.
    Seth

I was excited that my Technika would fold with a 150, but in practice it's nice for travel but a pain for shooting, since I only use that lens for a relatively small percentage of my photos. (It's my third-most-used lens after my 120 and 210, but the 120 gets the vast majority of use). And I need a large-coverage 120, the plasmats won't work.

So unless you primarily use a 150 or 135, folding the camera with the lens can slow you down in the real world.

Having said that, I'll take my brick-solid technika over a Chamonix any day

Are you guys saying that you put the lens (and lensboard, with it's metal corners) inside of your bellows? Sounds kind of risky to me..

It is possible to fold at least a very select number of lenses inside a Chamonix 045n-2. I can fold mine with a 90mm angulon attached mounted in a 20mm recessed board. Other lenses which do not protrude past the front surface of the front standard when mounted in a recessed board and have short enough total length could also fit in this way. I tend not to do this often however as I'm usually using my Nikkor sw 90/8 in that focal length for movements.