Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: old triplet lenses? are they good or bad idea?

old triplet lenses? are they good or bad idea?

I've read a few threads here about petvals and triplets and all ....still confuses me some but I have been looking for more of a "normal" lens for the 8x10 and I'm one that likes soft blurred edges and a few flaws and a unique look- shoot portraits, hands,etc...objects with hands. I'm now using the 9 1/2" lens and I like it so far but the triplet I found is 304 12" nickel over brass Spencer Cooke Triplet lens....not a lot of money- are these okay? I know I won't have a "shutter" and will have to rig up a lens cover I guess it says it is f5.6 though which I'm not sure about...any advice? I would have to mount it into a lensboard I guess, no idea how to do that with non threaded,etc... any info, suggestions or scolding welcome...I want to learn. Thanks!

This is the info posted by seller:

This is a nice Spencer 12" (304mm) brass lens. The lens configuration is a Cooke triplet of three elements in three groups. The barrel is nickel plated brass. The glass is clear with some very light cleaning marks and internal dust. No fungus or scratches. The dimensions of the lens are 2 15/16 (75mm) inches long. The barrel is 2 5/8" (65mm) wide. The front and rear elements are both 2 3/8" (56mm) wide. The barrel edge is stamped with with "12" - Spencer - Buffalo". The lens will cover 8x10, with ample room for movements. The focal length is 12". (304mm)

This is a beautiful lens and can easily be adapted for large format photography work. This is an artist's lens; the center of the image is sharp and begins to blur toward the peripherals giving a nice aesthetically pleasing smooth bokeh.

Re: old triplet lenses? are they good or bad idea?

From what little I understand myself, it should come with, ideally, a mounting flange. As for a shutter, you can either use a Packard shutter or use a lens cap as your shutter with extremely slow media...think wet plate or shooting directly onto paper.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

There is some kind of flange on that lens which should make mounting easy. I don't see any way of adjusting the aperture. Shooting wide open is sometimes impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by jessicadittmer View Post
    I've read a few threads here about petvals and triplets and all ....still confuses me some but I have been looking for more of a "normal" lens for the 8x10 and I'm one that likes soft blurred edges and a few flaws and a unique look- shoot portraits, hands,etc...objects with hands. I'm now using the 9 1/2" lens and I like it so far but the triplet I found is 304 12" nickel over brass Spencer Cooke Triplet lens....not a lot of money- are these okay? I know I won't have a "shutter" and will have to rig up a lens cover I guess it says it is f5.6 though which I'm not sure about...any advice? I would have to mount it into a lensboard I guess, no idea how to do that with non threaded,etc... any info, suggestions or scolding welcome...I want to learn. Thanks!

This is the info posted by seller:

This is a nice Spencer 12" (304mm) brass lens. The lens configuration is a Cooke triplet of three elements in three groups. The barrel is nickel plated brass. The glass is clear with some very light cleaning marks and internal dust. No fungus or scratches. The dimensions of the lens are 2 15/16 (75mm) inches long. The barrel is 2 5/8" (65mm) wide. The front and rear elements are both 2 3/8" (56mm) wide. The barrel edge is stamped with with "12" - Spencer - Buffalo". The lens will cover 8x10, with ample room for movements. The focal length is 12". (304mm)

This is a beautiful lens and can easily be adapted for large format photography work. This is an artist's lens; the center of the image is sharp and begins to blur toward the peripherals giving a nice aesthetically pleasing smooth bokeh.
    Unless the lens is going very cheaply, avoid it. It won't cover 8x10 sharply, doesn't have a shutter, flange, etc etc. Look for an old convertible Symmar, they sometimes go begging. The 300 Commercial Ektar is good, too, but the prices seem to be climbing. There is a very good primer on lenses on the LFPF homepage.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

thank you! I'll check out the homepage, I forgot about that. I easily get confused with all the options out there.

The 300mm/f6.3 Ilex (Tessar types) often go cheaply, and are a very good lens.

If you are on a strict budget, you are far better off buying one lens that works for you, at a fair price so you can sell it on later if need be, than buying several cheap lenses that don't do what you want them to. Don't be seduced by description of the "wonderful artistic quality" of the aberrant corners, either. You can make a sharp lens fuzzy, but not the reverse.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

What is it about your 9-1/2" lens that is not getting the job done for you?
    As tempting as it is, please don't run off chasing "magic bullets---unless, say you find you really need a longer or shorter lens (and theres not a lot of difference between a 9-1/2 and a 300) If you've got $$ burning a hole in your pocket, buying a box of film will take care of that in a hurry!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

oh I'm happy with this one so far. just was curious what these triplets were- in case I decide to go for a more "normal size" lens LOL. Jim actually sent a few lens things that screw onto this one when he sold me this lens that do different things so I'll be experimenting with them. I found an old petzval in that darkroom stuff I bought cheap - smallish on a lensboard with some writing on the side all scripty and pretty but haven't investigated more yet what it is. I know the guy shot 4x5 and 5x7 formats from the enlargers that I got from his darkroom but he has been dead over 20 years so I can't ask him...maybe searching through his books I'll find notes. crossing fingers. It has a weird thing inserted into it with real chewed up looking edges (thin metal) like it was used for an "aperture" with a rough edge. very interesting looking.

If you are wanting to go crazy trying out old lenses without shutters, a working 4x5 speed graphic is a good choice, especially one of the anniversary or pre-anniversary ones with the wooden lensboards. Anyone with basic woodworking skills can make new lensboards very cheaply for it, and drill them out for the new lenses you acquire. You'll have a built in shutter from 1/10-1/1000 sec.

I've got a couple of Meyer trioplan triplets which are absolutely awesome. No shutter, but a good barrel lens with iris for 4x5. My yashica TLR has a triplet lens which is excellent too. It's a good people lens choice. Not sure what the affordable options are for 8x10. I have a B&L Sigmar triplet for 8x10, but it's quite expensive and exceeds awesome.

i do have a 4x5 like you mention with wood front...I may have to play with that some time. It's been hiding for a few years in the case.