Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Optar 135mm f/4.7 cut out for Velvia?

Re: Is the Optar 135mm f/4.7 cut out for Velvia?

I have personally shot several 4x5" shots on Provia with my Graphex 135 4.7, and have been very pleased with the results. It's a much better lens than people, including me, give it credit for.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

Thank you all for the informative replies; they're very encouraging. I shall look into fashioning a lenshood for it, as I've just been using my hand. Also, the shutter appears to be quite accurate at slower speeds and I'm loathe to spend money to get it checked out when I'm planning to upgrade in a few months.

The only real issue with that lens is that it gives no room for movement on 4x5, hardly surprising for a Tessar of that focal length. It's an underrated lens, and I'm sorry I ever traded mine off.

By all means get a proper lens hood for it - but I'd be telling you that if you were using a brandy-new triple ultramegacoated Schniedenstock Whizzbangogon.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ellis View Post
    Thank you all for the informative replies; they're very encouraging. I shall look into fashioning a lenshood for it, as I've just been using my hand. Also, the shutter appears to be quite accurate at slower speeds and I'm loathe to spend money to get it checked out when I'm planning to upgrade in a few months.
    The easiest way, I'm told, to get a lens hood onto a 135/4.7 is to get a press-on Series VI accessory adapter and an adapter from that to some threads. Google it and it should become clear. I have a bunch of old filters from the Bay coming in, and if any of it fits my Graphex, I'll let you know exactly what you need to go buy.

EDIT: Here's the Photo.net article I found: http://photo.net/large-format-photography-forum/00VEq3

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    The only real issue with that lens is that it gives no room for movement on 4x5, hardly surprising for a Tessar of that focal length. It's an underrated lens, and I'm sorry I ever traded mine off.

By all means get a proper lens hood for it - but I'd be telling you that if you were using a brandy-new triple ultramegacoated Schniedenstock Whizzbangogon.
    Triple ultramegacoated? Guess I have to trade in my Double Ultramegacoated Fujistock-Kreuznikon Whizzbangogon-W.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

38 mm; 1-1/2 inch adapter (from memory)

Yes, its 38mm. I just bought one for my Optar.
    Peter Y.

Just for me... the optar and a reasoably synced kalart rangfiner plus 500 at f8 with no fill gave me soft 8x10's. Thats why you HAVE to make prints, I shot off 200 sheets before I enlarged them and realised that I was using 4x5's to get like 645 level sharpness, and thats just dumb!

Self Portrait as a black boy with body issues by Eddy Pula, on Flickr
    still like this picture but the print looks like sheet
    Last edited by eddy pula; 18-Apr-2012 at 08:16. Reason: keep your opionions to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by eddy pula View Post
    Just for me... the optar and a reasoably synced kalart rangfiner plus 500 at f8 with no fill gave me soft 8x10's. Thats why you HAVE to make prints, I shot off 200 sheets before I enlarged them and realised that I was using 4x5's to get like 645 level sharpness, and thats just dumb!

Self Portrait as a black boy with body issues by Eddy Pula, on Flickr
    still like this picture but the print looks like sheet
    The lenses are sharp. Is your rangefinder tracking the lens at all distances? How did you check this? Is your GG in the correct location? Filmholders? Don't condemn the lens when you have at least three other variables, and that before you get to the enlarger.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

... not to mention tripod jitter and/or heartbeats, caffeine jitter, or other types of nervous tremors (if hand-holding).

p.s. eddie -- I like your "self-portrait" series. They make me smile. In one situation, though, (self-portrait as two ladies) there is so much attitude showing that I'm shocked that camera didn't end up halfway down your throat.