Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Optar 135mm f/4.7 cut out for Velvia?

Is the Optar 135mm f/4.7 cut out for Velvia?

Hello folks,

I have a Graflex Optar 135mm f/4.7, in Graphex shutter. I've used this lens with success on B&W films, but am wondering how it will perform with Velvia 50? I've already shot a partial box of Velvia with it, but have yet to develop those shots. So my question is: am I wasting my Velvia on this lens? I'm planning on buying a more modern lens this summer, but would really like to capture some colour sunrises and such this spring while there are still proper transitions between night and day up here in Alaska.

Thanks,

Robert

Re: Is the Optar 135mm f/4.7 cut out for Velvia?

You might be surprised, just how well that works. Why wouldn't it? As long as the shutter is accurate, it will do fine.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was figuring that a modern lens would handle colours better, or something. Thanks for the info. I shall continue shooting it, and hopefully get some developed soon!

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I understand why you were thinnking modern would be better, but I've had good experience with Optar on E-6 too. Also good experience with older uncoated Kodak Anistagmat and E-6. One more word to add to your vocabulary if it isn't there already: lenshood.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Ellis View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I guess I was figuring that a modern lens would handle colours better, or something. Thanks for the info. I shall continue shooting it, and hopefully get some developed soon!
    Your Optar is a Tessar type. With the coating that is on it, it is to all intents and purposes a modern lens.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Ha ha... for some of us I guess the 1960s were almost like yesterday.

The Optar is much unloved because it's common and just a Tessar but if it's coated there is no reason why it wouldn't work well with slide film. The shutter may not be as accurate as it sounds though. I have had shutters that "sounded right" totally botch slide film before.

I suppose that if you were concerned you could always get one or two of the shots you have taken developed now if that is feasible / cost effective. I was only thinking this as you may not want to go through the entire box and then regret it. I am sure from reading the above you won't have any issue, or regret it as the people on the forum definitely know what they are talking about, but it might be worth giving it a go if you have any lingering concerns?

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    The Optar is much unloved because it's common and just a Tessar but if it's coated there is no reason why it wouldn't work well with slide film. The shutter may not be as accurate as it sounds though. I have had shutters that "sounded right" totally botch slide film before.
    Calibrating a shutter by ear is like setting valve clearances by eye. It doesn't work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nguss View Post
    I suppose that if you were concerned you could always get one or two of the shots you have taken developed now if that is feasible / cost effective. I was only thinking this as you may not want to go through the entire box and then regret it. I am sure from reading the above you won't have any issue, or regret it as the people on the forum definitely know what they are talking about, but it might be worth giving it a go if you have any lingering concerns?
    Nguss, I used the same lens with Fuji 50, the ancestor of Velvia. As long as his shutter is accurate, he'll get lovely results.