Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fatali pleads guilty

Fatali pleads guilty

This article is five days old. I'm posting it here for those who might have missed it. Photographer admits fire role By Angie Welling

Deseret News staff writer The nature photographer accused of setting fires at Delicate Arch last year pleaded guilty Friday in federal court.

Michael Fatali, Springdale, also pleaded guilty to setting two fires in Canyonlands National Park in August 1997. The 36-year-old professional photographer faces up to six months in prison and a $5,000 fine for each of the seven misdemeanor counts.

Fatali also agreed to pay full restitution to the National Park Service for damage caused by the fires. Restoration is estimated at more than $16,000.

On Sept. 18, 2000, Fatali led a group of amateur photographers to Delicate Arch to photograph the famous four-story sandstone arch, which is the backdrop of some Utah license plates. At his direction, Fatali's assistant and others from the group set two fires, one directly under the arch and another to the east of the structure. Aluminum baking pans brought along to contain the fire failed, and the flames scorched and discolored the sandstone. Fatali tried to stomp out the fires, but one was still burning when the group left the area.

Park visitors reported the damage to rangers the next morning.

Officials were able to remove some of the scorch marks immediately, but remaining scars from the fire could not be removed because an oily or waxy stain had penetrated the rock.

Fatali on Friday also admitted to starting two fires in Canyonlands National Park, the first on Aug. 12, 1997, at Horsehoof Arch and again on Aug. 13, 1997, at the Joint Trails Needles District. He used wood from within the park to start the two fires, he said.

According to prosecutors, in November 2000 Fatali sent an e-mail message to members of the photography community apologizing for what happened, saying he "seriously regretted" the incident. "I simply screwed up," the message said.

Defense attorney Kristine Rogers declined to comment Friday, saying Fatali would make a statement after his Feb. 1, 2002, sentencing hearing.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Wayne Dance said Fatali fully acknowledged his criminal conduct by pleading guilty to all seven counts as charged.

"It's a matter that's very serious," Dance said. "All of our national parks are for the enjoyment of future generations."

Fatali pleads guilty

Part of his sentencing should include an order for him to photograph the stain on the arch and display it prominently on his web page.

Fatali pleads guilty

And prominently in his gallery. I think another photographer should make the image however.

Fatali pleads guilty

Both galleries.

Fatali pleads guilty

And maybe have it tattoo'd on his forehead.

Fatali pleads guilty

Come on! How much emprisonment did the Exxon guys get for soiling the Alaskan co ast, killing thousands of wild life and depriving the fisheries from their income? Not a day, I bet. And h ere this poor photographer faces six months because he left his matches on the ground. This is clearly out of pro portion!

Fatali pleads guilty

Paul, I'd rather see it as the Exxon results were out of proportion!

Fatali pleads guilty

Paul,

Whatever you are on, I wish you would share it with me. It sure would help me get through the long winter!!!!

Fatali pleads guilty

Paul,

I'm sure if he had the money to spend on lawyers that Exxon had he wouldn't be facing jail time either. I think Exxon execs as well as the captain of the ship should have been sentenced to twenty years of scrubbing rocks and workingto restore wildlife populations in McMurdo Sound. Several people were able to point directly to Fatali as the person who caused the damage and that he directed others to do as he did and further was teaching a workshop class that what he was doing was okay. Finally there is the matter of Fatali's arrogant behavior since the discovery ofthe damage to Delicate Arch. which also happens to be an important and sacred spot fro the native American inhabitants of the reason, for them his actions and arrogance must be akin to spray painting graffitti on the Dome of the Rock or the Wailing Wall in jerusalem or on the Vatican; another case of gringo arrogance.

Fatali pleads guilty

Thanks Ellis. Well, maybe I am not aware of all the details. I'm sure this will be a lesson for all photographers including me who will be tempted at one time or another to transgress the rules. But generally speaking, why perpetuate this old "tar and feathers" revenge mentality? We, Europeans, watchin g what is going on on the other side of the pond have come to the point where we are reluctant to travel t o the States in fear that we could get jailed for the rest of our days and stripped from all our belongings b ecause we walked accidentally on someone's foot! The land of democracy and the human rights is also sometimes a land of some strange manners! Oh, of course I am not saying my country is any better, that's not the point. Just trying to sympathize with a fellow photographer who had a bad blow. Take it easy!