Re: Which camera to buy very new to Large format

If that's the case. I would say you won't go wrong with the chamionix
    So go for it.
    Get cracken.
    Shoot to kill.
    through a glass darkly...

Scott Davis

I'd suggest taking a good look at the Shen Hao also. They're just as capable, and the older HZX AT-II models were made of teak - heavy, but given you are doing a lot of work seaside, that would be a good option as teak is naturally water resistant. I don't know what they are using for current HZX models - it might be walnut, which is also very stable, and lighter than teak.

Chamonix is currently being offered in Teak and Maple, but the wood choices vary over their production runs, so you have to ask about availability when you get on the list to buy.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak Calayampundi View Post
    Thanks for the info mate nice to see so many helpful people. My budget is a bit small as I have already spent a lot on digital cameras and lens. This will just be something for myself not going to be commercial. I intend to spend upto 1000 dollars on a body and 500 on lens with the shutter. I really like the look and the compactness of chamonix.

From the demo video I can see that there is the basic movements. The main things I am after is perspective and depth of field control. Which I think this camera will offer. There is the ability to focus at infinity and has scales to achieve that. The focussing nobs are at the rear which is good.

Has anyone used this camera?

I've been using one and truly love it. It's very well made and finished. Before that, I was using a Shen Hao which is also a good camera. I am strictly an outdoor photographer.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Thanks for the information Kent. I am an outdoor shooter as well i mostly do landscapes and use wide angle lens.

** Do you ever expect to shoot roll film (5.6 x 8.4cm or 5.6 x 11.2cm)?

** Do you ever expect to crop 4x5 (9.5 x 12cm) to a narrower format (6 x 120cm or 8 x 12cm)?

** Do you like ultra-wide lenses?

I'll probably never use the full frame of a 4x5 sheet because I prefer 2:3 or 1:2 ratios to 4:5 other than for non-environmental (studio) portraits and I'll not be doing those. I've decided to dedicate my 45N-1 strictly to 5.6 x 11.2cm roll film because, the way I'll be shooting, there's not much different in image size between 120 roll film and 4x5 sheet film so the convenience/weight/bulk of roll film is alluring. If I want a 2:3 ratio then I'll shoot two images and stitch them in Photoshop for 7.5 x 11.2cm images. So, the largest image circle I'll need to fill is 135mm (if no movements are needed). This allows use of a 38mm SA XL straight on and with a little wiggle room on 5.6 x 11.2cm. There are times when I need my ultra-wide fix!!

If you shoot like me then a 38mm SA XL might be a good base line to start your lens selection. If you expect to shoot 4x5 full frame then you'll need to jump up to a 47mm SA XL. Of course... you'd better REALLY LOVE ultra-angle lenses.

I doubt the 38mm SA XL will cover 8 x 12cm... maybe 6 x 12cm.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    ** Do you ever expect to shoot roll film (5.6 x 8.4cm or 5.6 x 11.2cm)?

** Do you ever expect to crop 4x5 (9.5 x 12cm) to a narrower format (6 x 120cm or 8 x 12cm)?

** Do you like ultra-wide lenses?

I'll probably never use the full frame of a 4x5 sheet because I prefer 2:3 or 1:2 ratios to 4:5 other than for non-environmental (studio) portraits and I'll not be doing those. I've decided to dedicate my 45N-1 strictly to 5.6 x 11.2cm roll film because, the way I'll be shooting, there's not much different in image size between 120 roll film and 4x5 sheet film so the convenience/weight/bulk of roll film is alluring. If I want a 2:3 ratio then I'll shoot two images and stitch them in Photoshop for 7.5 x 11.2cm images. So, the largest image circle I'll need to fill is 135mm (if no movements are needed). This allows use of a 38mm SA XL straight on and with a little wiggle room on 5.6 x 11.2cm. There are times when I need my ultra-wide fix!!

If you shoot like me then a 38mm SA XL might be a good base line to start your lens selection. If you expect to shoot 4x5 full frame then you'll need to jump up to a 47mm SA XL. Of course... you'd better REALLY LOVE ultra-angle lenses.

I doubt the 38mm SA XL will cover 8 x 12cm... maybe 6 x 12cm.
    I love ultra wide angles again it depends on the composition and how close you want to get to the main subject. I would like the flexibility to shoot different formats like panoramic I was hoping that the chamonix would take a 120mm film back with a pano crop adapter. I am planning to get a 90mm and 135mm to start with. Thanks for posting.

How wide panoramic...5.6 x 11.2cm... 5.6 x 16.8cm? Do you also plan on shooting full frame 4x5 (95 x 120cm). These decision make a difference in lens selection.

You don't need an adapter for panoramic views. If you want to use 6x12 (I use the nominal format size--all the roll holders are a bit different), then you need a camera with a Graflok/International back. Most current cameras have that, including the Chamonix. An inexpensive roll-film holder that does 6x12 is made by Shen-Hao. Otherwise, just crop off what you don't need of 4x5 film.

There are those who use split-dark-slides with sheet film holders to get 4x10 from an 8x10 holder, but the much higher price of film and the much greater ground glass area makes that reasonable. It's not worth the trouble, in my view, for 2x5.

An advantage to 6x12 if you use roll film is that decent scanners are more available for roll film than for sheet film. The scanners for sheet film really benefit from using all the sheet.

A 90mm lens is usually about as wide as most people go. If you rarely need wider than 24mm on a full-frame DSLR, then 90 on 4x5 will be wide enough. 6x12 defies comparison because of the shape, however. The Schneider XL lenses cover 4x5 down to 47mm, but those are well beyond your price range. An older 65mm/5.6 Super Angulon might fit the budget better and give you a bit more field of view for smaller formats, if you go that way. My advice is to save 6x12 for later, if you really do want to shoot 4x5 film at all.

For lens quality, at 90mm, any of the Schneider Super Angulon, Rodenstock Grandagon, Fuji SWD, and Nikon SW choices are excellent. Don't, however, choose an Angulon (without the "Super") or something like a Graflex Wide-Field Optar--those lenses are much older designs and cover 4x5 using a combination of a tiny aperture and wishful thinking.

For 135mm, the plasmat designs (e.g. Symmar, Sironar, etc.) from any of the four manufacturers will be a good choice.

Multicoating is nice but not necessary for first-rate work. A great starting point might be an old Schneider 90mm f/8 Super Angulon and a Schneider 135mm f/5.6 Symmar or Symmar-S. You might find these for several hundred each in reasonable condition, and stay in budget. Schneider is not necessarily better than other brands, but they made more lenses that are now of an age to combine very close to the most modern design with a high supply and low price. Remember that for a 16x20 print, a 4x5 film only needs a 4x enlargement, while a 24x36 frame needs 17x enlargement. Large format is much less demanding of lenses unless you make very, very large prints. On reason to use large format is that amazing detail is possible without spending thousands on each lens.

If you are going to buy new, the Chamonix is as good a place to start as any, and a lot cheaper than most. It's still quite a bit more expensive than a used monorail, though. Those are usually pretty thick on the ground and very cheap these days, but that may be less the case in 'Stralia.

Don't forget to budget for all additional things you'll need, including film holders, a stout tripod with a stout head, a dark cloth (though you can make your own), a loupe, a cable release, the appropriate lens boards, a changing tent if you will need to load film holders in the field, and a stock of film.

By the way: Large format has less depth of field than smaller formats. You'll need much smaller apertures to get similar depth of field, with the associated longer shutter speeds. But what large-format offers that is a very expensive compromise option with smaller format is the ability to tilt the focus plane by tilting the front and back of the camera with respect to each other. You may have less depth of field, but being able to put the focus plane where you want it is often more useful in any case. That's the point of having movements, of course.

Good luck and don't forget that we do this for fun.

Rick "who looked at a Canham last week (something like what the Chamonix copies), and thought it really nice but still a monorail junkie" Denney

I'd have a look at the Canham DLC. It is well made, has plenty of movements for a field camera, and will handle at least from 65mm to 450mm (at infinity) with the standard bellows. I believe there's a used one on the auction site right now (I have no stake in that). Good luck in your quest.