Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which camera to buy very new to Large format

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Which camera to buy very new to Large format

Hello All,

I am avery fresh to large format photography, I have used digital cameras and currently use a film camera with my canon lens. I would like to know which camera I can get with all the movements and I am on a budget and I also want a light enough camera to hike. I would like to do landscapes with this camera and maybe some studio work for portraitures in the future. Your help and advice is approciated...

Re: Which camera to buy very new to Large format

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak Calayampundi View Post
    Hello All,

I am avery fresh to large format photography, I have used digital cameras and currently use a film camera with my canon lens. I would like to know which camera I can get with all the movements and I am on a budget and I also want a light enough camera to hike. I would like to do landscapes with this camera and maybe some studio work for portraitures in the future. Your help and advice is approciated...
    Most questions you have can be researched on the Large Format Information site and Steve Simmon's book, "Using the View Camera":

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

http://www.amazon.com/Using-View-Cam...4555643&sr=8-1

I would suggest that you use these to get an idea of what you might be getting into. There are other books you can search for and searching this forum will, also, be helpful. Searching Amazon, for example, with the query, "large format photography", will bring up a number of books you might be interested in. There really is no shortcut to this process. Asking general questions just gets answers you can't put in context and you end up with what someone else wanted, not what you want or need.

Steve thanks for the information most appriciated I have started to read the links mate....

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarak Calayampundi View Post
    Steve thanks for the information most appriciated I have started to read the links mate....
    You are welcome, good luck with your quest.

In my opinion, I think for someone just trying this format out for the first time, it's probably a good idea to get your hands on an old Super Speed Graphic or any Graflex camera for that matter. They can be had for a few hundred dollars on the fleabay.

Dwarak asked about a camera with all the movements which rules out Speed & Crown Graphics. While the Super Graphic has no rear movements it does have a revolving back and also plenty of front movements to compensate but theyb tend to be expensive or need restoration and parts can be hard to find.

I do use a Super Graphic and find the movements give me everything I require and it's as capable as my Wista 45DX. I aslo use both Speed & Crown Graphics and frequently find I get frustrated by their poor movements particularly in portrait mode.

There's plenty of good basic cameras with enough movements, Wista, Shen Hao, Toyo 45A and if you're lucky a Graflex/Toyo Super Graphic. There's also MPP Micro Technicals Mk VI, VII and VII are the best and just ocassionally there's bargain Linhofs.

Ian

Omega/Toyo 45d. In good condition with no bellows issues expect to pay upwards of $350. Has all movements. Some plastic parts which need TLC, but with care will perform well.

+1 on the Super Graphic, I love mine...as capable a field camera as I could hope for, and a fun rangefinder too!

I would also reccomend that if you're just trying out LF, get a rail like a Toyo 45D or my 45F. Great starter camera that gives you a great sampling of movements for very little money.
    Please, call me Erik.
    Find me on: Flickr Pentaxforums RangeFinderForum
    Omega View 45F Monorail, Super Graphic, Various Lenses (75, 90, 135, 150/265, 210)

If you google the OP's name, you will find a number of links to his work. I think he needs a view camera, not a press camera and the terrain, while fascinating, is such that he would find a field camera more useful than a monorail.

If a member that is familiar with his location could recommend a good LF dealer to him, I think he would find that information more useful than suggestions regarding specific camera types or models.

Steve you are right what I really need is a view camera. The main thing for me is depth of field I am not happy with what I can achieve with a 5d mark2 and 16-35 l series lens. I read a lot of reviews about large format film and large format cameras. I have some experience with film (35mm) and good grasp of how to use light meters for landscape photography. I have been looking at chamonix 4x5 seems like a light camera has anyone used this before. It offers most of the movements esp for depth of field control. I am not that worried about perspective as that is more subjective for landscape I guess. Thanks for all the replies so far