Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams Quote?

Re: Ansel Adams Quote?

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    ...I think this thread is fun because the quote has been taken seriously & out of context.

Are we having fun yet?

Drew Wiley

I still own a tube tent and sometimes throw it in the bottom of the pack when I'm out on
    a steep day hike in the High Country in so-so weather - just in case I twisted an ankle or
    ran into someone else who did. But I'm still having a lot of trouble visualizing this car concept thing. Seems that cars were necessary to the invention and use of view cameras.
    Just looked up the authoritative biography of Timothy O'Sullivan on the internet. Seems he
    drove his Mercedes to Page Utah, then over to Lee's Ferry, where John D. Lee pushed it
    onto a barge of lashed-together cottonwood logs ... and then from there he went down
    the Colorado River with all his camera gear nice and dry in the car trunk. Wonder what kind
    of car W.H. Jackson used.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Dean remarked how great a visionary Harding really was, and also that Harding did things that someone paralyzed by fear could scarcely imagine. I never met Warren...
    Even RR, the better naturally talented climber, mellowed with Warren in later years, acknowledging his ballsy adventurous ascents. He was an unlikely (and sorely missed) force of nature.

Back to "campfire stories" (a much earlier post), I shared a few (campfires) with Warren, et. al. Here's one of my favorites, which perhaps exemplifies the admirable contrarian spirit of the man. Warren always wanted to apply grease to "Firefall Wall", a climbing route he first ascended, which closely followed the path of the once famous Firefall. He would station an accomplice at Glacier Point, who would yell down, "Hello, Camp Curry". Warren would be below, match in hand, answering , "Hello, Glacier Point". From on high, would come the final report, "Let the fire rise!"

FYI: I participated in shoving red fir coals off of GP during the Firefall's last year in the winter of '68.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I generally do cite my sources.
    I am the source.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

I am the source.
    That had me ROL'ing on the floor laffing!

FYI: I participated in shoving red fir coals off of GP during the Firefall's last year in the winter of '68.
    I remember watching the fire fall -- and afterwards getting separated from my family on the way back to our campsite...wandering around the campground totally lost and confused until finally found by my Dad (and hero!) Late 1950's.

These days I tend to take a couple of light-weight tarps (and what we use to call parachute cord) and construct my own shelter.

Drew Wiley

My own insights of Warren Harding were from an ex-girlfriend of his from beck in them thar
    days, who worked for our company here, as a much much older gal of course, and a colorful character in her own right. One of my nephew's favorite tricks was to throw a
    headlamp off El Cap and let off a scream just as the tourist "geen dragon" wagon pulled
    down the road in the evening to learn how climbers keep climbing at nite. Got their money's
    worth that way and had something to tell back home.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Are we having fun yet?
    Did Bret also mean elevation?

I’m trying to plan a mountain trip w/ my GPS.

Is there anything photogenic if I hike more than 500 yards above my car, but my longitude & latitude are within 500 yards of it?

Forgive my ignorance please, what is a fire fall? I'm enjoying this side tracked thread from the side lines.
    Regards
    Erik

Altitude and altitude and be a dude (or dudette)! Anything 500 yds up and less than 500 yds out is a heck of a climb!

The original man-made Firefall :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Firefall

The present day "Firefall" is a natural seasonal occurance:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/horsetail-fall.aspx