Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ansel Adams Quote?

Drew Wiley

Re: Ansel Adams Quote?

Given the drift of this thread, it's inevitable I'll eventually win the argument. Global warming
    will kick in, all the flatlands will be submerged, and your GPS won't work underwater anyway. So there won't be anything left to photograph except mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    The original man-made Firefall :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yosemite_Firefall

The present day "Firefall" is a natural seasonal occurance:

http://www.yosemitepark.com/horsetail-fall.aspx
    Thanks Vaughn, that's Wild. I found it a little ironic that in the wiki article it mentions that the hotel that sponsored the fire fall burnt down
    Regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Anything 500 yds up and less than 500 yds out is a heck of a climb!
    We’ve got switchback trails here in the Cascades, we’re lazy up here...

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Given the drift of this thread, it’s inevitable I’ll eventually win the argument. Global warming will kick in, all the flatlands will be submerged, and your GPS won’t work underwater anyway. So there won’t be anything left to photograph except mountains.
    That sounds more like Continental drift, not thread drift.

;^)

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    That’s sounds more like Continental drift, not thread drift.

;^)
    This thread started drifting way before the usual 30 posts!

Perhaps a corollary would, the simpler the question the faster the drift!

Drew Wiley

I've only taken a few trips in the Cascades, Heroique, and do remeber chugging up Aasgard
    Pass in the Enchantments with an 85lb pack - about a 6000 steep enough to need hands
    in a couple of places, and no switchbacks. Not the altitude typical of the Sierras, but a
    damn lovely hike. I went up on the "tail" of Dragontail Peak for a Sinar shot of the moonrise
    over the summit, then glissaded all the way down to the lakes in the Basin. Hard to imagine
    that lovely glacier all gone now, just 15 yrs later, speaking of global warming.

Hard to imagine that lovely glacier all gone now, just 15 yrs later, speaking of global warming.
    And now the trees are disappearing too (East side), thank you mountain pine beetle.

Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    I generally do cite my sources. I thought that was the point of my post. Do you ever follow my links? Your argument and assertions regarding my quote are made out of whole cloth. Tweed is in fact a well known park historian of SEKI. The link you've posted is to single paged (abridged) versions of what appears to be a more detailed published book. No one in this post has claimed that Adams was totally responsible for the creation of the park. But it is true that his photographs, pretty much in the way that Drew has indicated played a pivotal role in the its final legal establishment, after having been in limbo for many years. The colorful, folksy way (gol durn it!) you've ascribed, seems pretty close to the mark, actually. It would seem that you are a victim of your own beliefs, mythology and all.

Adams' own words and those who have written without guile about him, make it very clear that he was no god–like anything. Please read published, reviewed works. Don't accept unsubstantiated internet opinion, even mine. Your ignorance is showing. Honestly, somebody needs to knock that chip off your shoulder.
    Hey ROL,

I *do* look at your links--the link to the AA oral history transcript was a good one but didn't see any reference to the quote in it. I also liked your REI catalog pict. No reference to the quote in that one either. Did I miss something?

Tweed is in fact a well known park historian of SEKI. The link you've posted is to single paged (abridged) versions of what appears to be a more detailed published book.
    No, it appears to be the entire book. There's a "next" button at the bottom of each page so you can go through it. It is a long read. I didn't see any mention of AA in chapter seven. If you do find mention in this version of the book or in any longer version I'd love to hear about it. If you can point to *any* reputable source that Ansel "played a pivotal role in the its final legal establishment, after having been in limbo for many years" then please cite it. Hand waving will not do. I'm perfectly willing to be convinced that this is the case but the evidence that I can find doesn't support such a claim.

Please read published, reviewed works. Don't accept unsubstantiated internet opinion, even mine. Your ignorance is showing. Honestly, somebody needs to knock that chip off your shoulder.
    Chill out, ROL. Not need to start the personal attacks. Either I'm wrong and you'll cite evidence to prove it--for something as big as establishing a national park there must be abundant evidence--or its a creation myth. Doesn't change my life much either way but I do find it an interesting question.

--Darin

Drew Wiley

Have you ever set a foot into that country, Darin? I grew up smack dab there, and hung
    out with old cowboys who went into there long before it was a park, and very old Indians who crossed the passes before they ever met a white man in their life. Maybe if you got
    out and started recognizing the import of some of those shots old Ansel took, and how much effort went into it, you'd get a little different perspective on the whole question than
    playing Websurfer of the month. Like everything congress does, formation of a major park
    involved quite a few elements. To say that AA's shots - specifically dedicated to that purpose, and specifically factored into the relevent lobby - were not highly influential -
    is just an ostrich stunt to hide from the obvious. Do you really think all those lard-ass
    senators and so forth just read a report or manuscript and made up their minds? Or did
    Smokey the bear solicit all the chipmunks to contribute a buck to bribe them?

. . . Wonder what kind
    of car W.H. Jackson used.
    Jackson finally learned to ride a bicycle when past 60. His youthful misadventures with oxen and mules were riskier.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

While you guys jacked yourselves off all afternoon wondering what Ansel Adams said, I made 2 Van Dykes and 2 Kallitypes which are hanging to dry.

Thomas