Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: In praise of Divided Pyrocat

Re: In praise of Divided Pyrocat

Lately I have been using divided Pyrocat HD on a Jobo in Expert tanks. 5 minute pre-soak in plain water.
    I have no problem with streaks or unevenness even when I use lith film in the camera which has always been the most difficult for me to develop evenly in a tray or hangers in a tank.

Well I don't know what I am doing wrong now. Tried it again, this time at 1:10 and the negative was still 90% clear. Definitly not a fixer issue. Then I saw the Pyrocat bottle after and noticed I forgot to shake them....wonder if that's what did it.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

If your film keeps coming out clear, it seems like the developer itself is bad.

Before trying it divided, did you establish that it works when combined ?

Did you purchase a 2-bottle kit, or did you mix it yourself ? In either case, is the the water or Glycol-based version ?

It worked the last time I tried two-bath but has also worked every time mixed. Just this week, after not having used it for a couple months, did I encounter this problem. The new negative at 1:10 does scan but is pretty atrocious looking. I gave it 6min in A @75° and 5min in B at 75°.

This is the one I am using:
    http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...-Hd/Detail.bok

2 bottle kit. Pre mixed liquid.

Again developed other sheets immediately after with R09 that look normal. So I don't think it's a water issue either. Might have to try a standard development with Pyrocat HD to see if something is up with the developer I guess. Thanks for the help.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

That formula doesn't seem to mention Glycol, so I presume it's prepared with water.

For what it's worth, in 2011 I switched to D-23 because my water-based Pyrocat failed one time too many. Developing by inspection with an Infra Red viewing device, the film wasn't developing at all, but I was able to add some Metol powder to the developer, and that rescued the negatives - but I vowed "never again".

After a year, I tired of mixing developer from scratch every time, so I prepared some Pyrocat in Glycol, and I'm hooked again. It's as fresh today as the day I mixed it.

Here's a link to Photographer's Formulary Glcycol-based version: http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...col/Detail.bok

They note the following: "Packaging in glycol stabilizes the formula to give a very long shelf life and long term consistency."

By the way, your photos from inside the church are really nicely done !

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zboumee...n/photostream/

Lachlan 717

Zaitz,

You need to shake the bottles before use!!!

I can't remember which of the parts needs it, so just do both.

If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas...
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

It does come out thin though, and if you are using an acid stop or fix then that could kill the stain and most of the density. I notice no stain with hypo/sulfite fixer but ilford hypam fixer seems to leave the stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    That formula doesn't seem to mention Glycol, so I presume it's prepared with water.

For what it's worth, in 2011 I switched to D-23 because my water-based Pyrocat failed one time too many. Developing by inspection with an Infra Red viewing device, the film wasn't developing at all, but I was able to add some Metol powder to the developer, and that rescued the negatives - but I vowed "never again".

After a year, I tired of mixing developer from scratch every time, so I prepared some Pyrocat in Glycol, and I'm hooked again. It's as fresh today as the day I mixed it.

Here's a link to Photographer's Formulary Glcycol-based version: http://stores.photoformulary.com/-st...col/Detail.bok

They note the following: "Packaging in glycol stabilizes the formula to give a very long shelf life and long term consistency."

By the way, your photos from inside the church are really nicely done !

Thank you, I really appreciate that! It's really a great place because they have no problems with photography. I did just see the Glycol version too. So maybe it is shaking the bottles or just old/bad but I'll go with that version next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    Zaitz,

You need to shake the bottles before use!!!

I can't remember which of the parts needs it, so just do both.

If that doesn't help, I'm out of ideas...
    Not sure how I missed that. I was paying so much attention to getting the times/temps/ and agitation for the B bath right that I didn't even look at the Pyrocat bottles to notice the 'Shake Well' bit. I was trying to use two Combiplan tanks for the process which worked fairly smoothly....other than practically no image .

Quote Originally Posted by mdm View Post
    It does come out thin though, and if you are using an acid stop or fix then that could kill the stain and most of the density. I notice no stain with hypo/sulfite fixer but ilford hypam fixer seems to leave the stain.
    Thin would be nice in this case. On the first go around I thought all 3 negatives were 100% clear. I had to look very, very closely to see any image at all in 2 of them. 1:10 dilution made the image stronger but still nothing close to even a bad negative. My other Pyro negatives processed traditionally have looked great, even divided in the BTZS tubes save the uneven development and 'drag' from scratches.
    My website Flickr

Indoors during a snow storm, Massachusetts 2013
    Sinar P, 210mm Macro Sironar N
    4x5 TMY, Divided Pyrocat HDC

Here's a shot where exposure for shadow areas was long enough to place the snow-lit outdoors at Zone XII and beyond.

I keep coming back to this developer, and to scenes whose extreme brightness range renders them "unsuitable" subjects.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 9-Feb-2013 at 13:52.

Ken,
    I would never do something like that, much less use a sheet of film for such a scene, much less photograph inanimate objects; but I gotta say, that's quite beautiful.
    The tones of the interior are quite luscious, and you've proven yourself a master of subtlety and finesse.