Thread: Gundlach Radar 300mm f/4.5 - Rear element only makes a nice soft-focus lens.

Gundlach Radar 300mm f/4.5 - Rear element only makes a nice soft-focus lens.

I was messing around with my Gundlach 300mm f/4.5 lens and discovered that the rear element makes a great soft-focus lens. It has a lot of diffusion and spherical aberrations, but still has a sharp core to the image. This is wide-open - stopped down it gets gradually sharper, eventually becoming really quite sharp.

From my calculations, the rear element is approximately a 200mm f/3 or 3.5. I haven't shot anything with it but I will soon. I thought I'd post this so maybe others with this lens can experiment with it as well. That's quite fast for a 200mm of course. I am thinking it will make some nice soft-focus wide angle landscapes on 8x10.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Deardorff Sales and service

Re: Gundlach Radar 300mm f/4.5 - Rear element only makes a nice soft-focus lens.

Its a tessar, all Tessars do this. Even the EKC 4.5 300 Ektar. I've often thought someone at EKC made the Portrait lens from these.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Re: Gundlach Radar 300mm f/4.5 - Rear element only makes a nice soft-focus lens.

Good to know...I wasn't aware of the design of this lens, nor that characteristic of tessars.

Edit: I mounted it on my 8x10 and the outer edges get really weird but on 4x5 it still works really well.