Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4x5" to 5x7"... is it worth changing?

Re: 4x5" to 5x7"... is it worth changing?

I make contact prints from in-camera 11x14 negatives and one of my favorite jokes is to show them with 4x5 enlargements and make people pick them out..it's hard to determine. 5x7 makes gorgeous little contact prints..

Thank you all for your interesting comments
    very, very useful for me
    Thank you

As i wrote, I already knew it about negatives and enlager and durst and... expensive issues :-)
    But they are not (so) important issues for me in comparison with the shooting session;
    I use only B/W and my cousin is a professional printmaker; so "darkroom" it is not a problem

I would rather know about your "feeling" with 5x7"
    when your under that dark cloth..
    when you look into that ground glass..
    how do you feel: more confortable than 4x5"? much confortable?
    it's easier to compose than the 4x5"? much easier?
    You can really feel the difference?

And is that "really" worth spending 2.000 $ or so... just to start with the 5x7 format?

tks
    A

@Gliderbee: I ordered the red bellow + directly to ShenHao Shanghai ( Mr Zhang)
    80$ + shipment: fast , easy, ;-)

Me and my "Red Bellow" 4x5 Shen
    Alberto Bregani | Mountain Photographer
    My starting page
    http://about.me/albertobregani

I just bought a Canham Traditional 4x5/5x7 with both backs. The Canham has seven inches of rear slide so I can shoot 4x8 or 4x10 stitched. Since I'll only be shooting color negative film and don't want to cut 8x10 down to 5x7... I probably would for 5x8 because it's only one cut and it's wider but the 5x8 camera is very pricey. The 5x7 back is of little use to me because there's just not enough difference in image quality to bother with cutting sheet film so I'll be selling the 5x7 back soon. Going from 4x5 to 8x10 makes a substantial difference... but you'll probably be spending more than $2000 for that jump. FWIW...

I don't think any of this is worth the effort if you have to justify the prices. It looks like you have a nice tiny, easy to carry outfit with your 4x5, note that the 5x7 is going to be heavier and bulkier, especially the holders.

You could always get an inexpensive 5x7 camera, like an older studio camera, to see if you like the format enough to invest into a more expensive light field camera. Most 210mm lenses for 4x5 will cover 5x7, so look for an old 5x7 Toyo or Sinar or Plaubel for under $500.

I bought most of my 4x5 lenses with 5x7 in mind. I then had a chance to buy a stack of 5x7 holders. Grabbed them, figuring I would keep an eye out for a camera. But once I saw what a stack of six holders looked like, compared to 4x5, I realized the increased volume and weight of the holders was a much bigger problem than the camera and tripod size increase.

Ok
    tks again
    Think i've got the point

it seems to me there are more cons that pros
    i always have to consider my way of photographing: i'm not taking the car, drive for miles, get the location, take my heavy camera, heavy tripod out of the car and so on.. without any effort
    I always have to put my camera into a backpack in which i have already put climbing equipment, clothes to stay outside maybe 1 or two nights, sometimes crampons and ice pick.., since i go climbing and trekking a lot to photograph
    So size and weight they are important issues for me ( consirering film holders too...s o thanks Ed for your comment;-)

That's why it has to be a real difference to go for a 5x7

So thank to all of you.. and to Frank Petronio who have exactly pinpointed the issue : "It looks like you have a nice tiny, easy to carry outfit with your 4x5,"
    yes you're right Frank. I think a 5x7 format would not make such a big difference for me and my kind of photography
    i think i'll remain with my tiny and perfect 4x5 ShenHao
    If i have to go for a bigger format i I'll go directly for a 8x10
    when it will be the day i stop climbing

Am I right?
    ;-)
    My starting page

Luis

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Bregani View Post
    Am I right?
    ;-)
    Probably not, this is like climbing, if it's not pushing you it becomes boring.

I found the transition from 45 to 5x7 was very smooth and easy for me -- and very worth while. I was beginning to make carbon prints (contact printing only) and it is a fine size form wonderful little prints. I think this would be the most convincing reason to jump from 4x5 to 5x7.

The 5x7 GG is a joy to look at -- significantly bigger than 4x5, but still easy to see the entire image without backing away from the GG. After learning with a 6cmx6cm camera and then a 4x5, the sweep of the 5x7 in either horizontal or vertical was fun to work with.

What are "crampons" and what is your need for them, Alberto??

Thank you Vaughn
    another interesting point of view

@Old-N-Feeble
    Crampons
    "Whether you’re strolling on glacier, groveling up an icy chimney or redpointing a sketchy mixed route, crampons are an essential connection between you and the frozen medium. Crampons need to be both high performance for solid, confidence-inspiring purchase on ice, snow and rock, and durable to withstand years of rough treatment."

I mean... ;-)
    My starting page