Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I did it!

Re: I did it!

What will you use for a light source?

Congratulations Jessica!

thanks! we were just outside on the deck before the storms came yesterday. natural light.

That first 8x10 negative is really special, I remember. Congratulations on such a success with your first one! You obviously did enough right; go ahead and bask in it! Don't worry about film clips; I use plastic clothes pins from the dollar store; every once in a while I dump them all into the sink, squirt in some dish soap and clean them thoroughly. They work fine and, I expect, always will. There's something to be said for the simple solutions! Again, congratulations, good luck with the storms and we can't wait to see more!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

thanks! I'm tapped out on buying anymore new for a while - I have plenty of film sheets and just mixed a fresh batch of chems yesterday - only thing I still need is paper- the clips I can use your suggestions for now to make do.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Congratulations! Ain't big negs grand? FWIW wooden clothes pins work just fine for me(wooden clothes pins, wooden camera, wooden tripod, wooden holders)
    ... wooden shoes, wooden teeth...

Make sure to test whatever hanging system you use before hanging valuable negatives. Some clothes pins work, and others don't, and it's really depressing to go to all the work of an 8x10 shoot, development,...only to have the carefully processed negative fall on the floor. Unlike Leigh, I prefer a strong metal clip, ala test leads at Radio Shack. It's easy to hold the negative outside of the image area, and they grip the negative very well.
    Last edited by Peter De Smidt; 15-Apr-2012 at 13:12.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

oh good tip! I'll do some research... this first piece was ilford aerial film that the photog I bought the film holders from loaded for me so I'd have something to start with. he warned it would be flimsy,etc. but I didn't have any trouble with it and was pleased with what I got.

I don't object to metal clips, just to the type with sharp teeth (because they damage the film).

A good compromise is binder clips, available at any office supply store. They grip firmly along a wide smooth edge.

But plastic clips are less likely to have corrosion problems. The same is true for wood (as others have mentioned).

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Congratulations! Ain't big negs grand? FWIW wooden clothes pins work just fine for me(wooden clothes pins, wooden camera, wooden tripod, wooden holders)
    Congrats also, I second the use of wooden clothes pin, have used for decades to hang film.