Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I did it!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I did it!

had to share, was so excited. I tray processed - new to that and to 8x10. I don't have the proper clips for drying film this size as I'm use to 120 film but it is there and hanging. sorry for the crappy quick cell shot of it- dark - now I'll have to do a contact print (another first for me) but I don't have any papers yet ack! I think it looks okay though. the older boy is sharper focus even though it was f8 but using an 8x10 I'm sure it isn't the same as f8 on a med. format. This is the 9 1/2 lens I bought from Jim Galli used in this -
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 407.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	72018

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Re: I did it!

You're off to a good start! You can use little battery alligator clips to hold your film. (At the moment I'm using plastic clothes pins with a big paper clip to hang them up.)

You'll need to stop down more. f/8 is still really shallow for 8x10, and f/22 is also usually the sharpest aperture.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Jessica, if only you weren't already married.....

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Jessica, if only you weren't already married.....
    I was thinking the same thing... At least that way I would have access to an 8x10 camera!

I think you will find that 8x10 is terrific for portraits.

Always good to hear new folks are still interested in using large format in this boring-digital world!

Great work!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Congrats, Jessica. Well done!

I don't recommend any sharp-toothed clips to hold the film while it's drying. They'll damage it.

Buy some 8x10 sheet film hangers, like are used for developing the film in the first place.
    Put one in each hanger and let them dry.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Great looking neg!!

Good job!

You go girl.
    You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus. ~ Mark Twain

Excellent..easier than you thought it would be?

thanks so much! I'll look at getting a proper hanging system. I have another neg to do also that was shot at f16. the max my shutter speed is 1/50 but it was very overcast before the storms hit yest. in Iowa here so I did a few of the boys to test. I'll try f22 next as well and see how it goes (although not today - seems the storms are still not done-yuck). I thought it was a bit tricky because I had the trays in the tub in total darkness and then a timer that I had to know where the buttons were and how to set it in the dark - the darkroom stuff I just picked up had a graylab timer (quite old looking) but I'll clean it up and see if I can get it to work for me. All in all a lot of fun and pleasantly surprised by my first try. I need to order paper now to do a contact print (another first for me). Then I can post again what it looks like.