Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trying to sort out Dagors

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Trying to sort out Dagors

I'm trying to sort out the Dagors, and was wondering if anyone could point me to a specific, authoritative site that tells the differences. A lot of what I've found has been confusing, conflicting, and I'm sure sometimes wrong.

As an example, there are "Berlin Dagors" and Dagors marked "Goerz Berlin". There are also Golden, Gold-Rim, Gold-Band, and Gold-Dot Dagors. I think I'm sorting it out, but is there a reference article that has it right and all in one place? Thanks!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Re: Trying to sort out Dagors

Hi Mark,

I have a Gold Dot Dagor, labeled Goerz Optical Co. Inc., made in Switzerland:

Don't know if this is what you're after or not.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Leigh, Reread your Plato quote. You're as far away from being helpful as you could be.... He's asking about Dagors, plural.... and their history and performance differences in an authoritative single location..... not about a single lens you are fortunate to own. Bill

Bill,

Are you
    1) The OP?
    2) A moderator?

If not, my posts are none of your business.

From the research that I've done on the subject, that lens is somewhat unusual in that it appears to carry an American
    company name but was made in Switzerland, not Berlin or the US. I presented it as one aspect of the puzzle.

- Leigh

I'm looking more for a source with comprehensive information, Leigh. Dagors, labeled as such, were made by different manufacturers, and there are significant differences between them It's hard to sort out, especially with the amount of questionable information out there, and I wondered if someone had put something together in one place. There's enough interest in the lens to justify such a resource...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Hi Mark,

It would be interesting if an authoritative source existed. I've not found such in researching the lens I posted above.

Hopefully someone will come forth with further info.

- Leigh

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

i think its a good thing that you are doing, mark.

it would benefit all and sundry who buy to use.

it would help keep value in check. but also allow people to know what they are getting, so they dont buy a second rate lens if they are after the real deal.

your list would be the go to source, but you may have to compile alot your self which will mean looking at individual cases like Leigh's.

Also what would be great with the advent of technology would be to have good images made with the lens's, (an advantage of dealing with people not lists, )

so in that way a vague idea of the lens's qualities are on display, why you may do a few pic from a few people if there is argument. bring it on.
    through a glass darkly...

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicexplosion View Post
    ...your list would be the go to source, but you may have to compile alot your self which will mean looking at individual cases like Leigh's.
    Oh, try to stick me with doing all the work! I don't know enough about them, I just have a bunch of bookmarked pages that have often conflicting, confusing, incomplete information. If I did write up an article, it would be a draft to be corrected by all in a forum thread, but hopefully someone has done it already. I'd be surprised if someone hasn't, given the history and popularity of the lens. I just haven't been able to find it...

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

maybe its all to much like hard work, so no one has bothered.

but you are right in that putting up a wikipedia or goezpedia or wikidagor or cloak and dagor for that matter, as an open source reference is a jolly good idea old chap.

people can add info and pics and images and you could adjudicate.

or we could set up an official board of inquiry.
    Last edited by cosmicexplosion; 13-Apr-2012 at 16:28. Reason: umm its actually 9.27 am over here not 12:26
    through a glass darkly...

loujon

Hey Mark I don't have a the information your after but this is a early C.P. Goerz Belin/ New York catalog that is worth having looking at. It dates to 1895 and It's very cool to see the to interior/exterior of both the Berlin C.P. Goerz Optical Works / New York C.P. Goerz Optical Works.

Check it out - http://www.piercevaubel.com/cam/cata...goerzlp723.htm