Thread: Filters on SA 75 f8

Filters on SA 75 f8

I just got a SA 75 f8. It's an older lens (mid 60s) but considering what I paid for it and judging the results I got so far I am very happy with it.

Since it has a 49mm filter mount and most of my filters are 67mm I was thinking of getting some dedicated filters of that diameter. However someone has told me that with this lens even with a single circular polarizer I might begin to notice vignetting unless I choose a very thin one!

Is that the case?

Octogenarian

Filters on SA 75 f8

Hi Walter,

The easiest and least expensive way to do it is with a step-up ring. 49-67mm can accomp;ished with only one ring. B&H carries a general brand ring for under $7. That way, you can continue to use your 67mm filters. Since your 67mm filters are larger than the lens diameter, there is no risk of vignetting. A linear polarizer is less costly than a circular polarizer, and there is no need to use the thinner style filter that is also more expensive.

Filters on SA 75 f8

Thanks Eugene, I did consider a step up ring. And that's probably a sensible idea. On the other hand I also wanted the usual UV filter mounted permanently for protection. And that's should obviously be a 49mm in order not to increase the bulk of the lens.

Filters on SA 75 f8

Walter, I wouldn't bother with a UV filter for "protection" - that's the job of a lens cap. All the UV filter is going to do for you is add extra glass/air surfaces.

Filters on SA 75 f8

I leave my uv filter on mine and will take it off if I feel lens flare might be a problem. I've not had problems with vignetting shooting straight on with the filter on this lens. With movements, though, I have noticed some vignetting that is improved with the filter removed.

I think the step up ring will do the trick.

I love this lens. Mine is a 1970's version and is one of my sharpest wide angle lenses...I've sold my 90mm super angulon as a result. Must save for that 110 super symmar : )

Cheers

Filters on SA 75 f8

"I leave my uv filter on mine and will take it off if I feel lens flare might be a problem."

Then why not use a MC filter.

The Heliopan 16 layer MC filter in slim mount would seem to solve your flare and your vignetting problems.

Filters on SA 75 f8

I'm considering to purchase this lens too. Would appreicate if any owners can feedback on how it handles bring daylight shooting, any flare issues?