Thread: 8x10 Film Holder Question

8x10 Film Holder Question

I've been shooting 4x5 for over 20 years. Finally broke down and acquired an 8x10 Chamonix and I'm looking forward to begin shooting with it. I bought 4 8x10 film holders on eBay and they arrived today. On the inside of each holder I found small pieces of double-sided tape attached to the holder. Some have a single piece, others have multiple pieces. (See attachment). I assume the previous owner placed them there to keep the film perfectly flat. Here are my questions:

> Do most 8x10 shooters alter their holders this way, or is this just idiosyncratic of the previous owner?
    > Without tape, is keeping film flat an issue?
    > If I keep the tape in the holder, will the tape leave a residue of some kind on the backside of the film?
    > If I remove the tape, I assume I'll have to scrape off all the residue that's left behind. True?

Thoughts?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8x10 holder.jpg  

Re: 8x10 Film Holder Question

All of those questions have been answered recently in a thread on the subject of adhesive holders. Search for that.

My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

The film guide rails and everything else looks normal. The sticky pieces would make it difficult to slide film in the guides. Perhaps he used hand cut film slightly undersized? Or used a film with a thin flimsy base? Loose sheets can fall inside the camera after the dark slide is removed. There is more tape nearest the dark slide end as if vertical set ups were more likely to have film fall out.

You should contact the seller and ask why, or if, he added the tape. And what film he used. Hot weather conditions where film is less stiff? Any background knowledge will help.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Yeah I agree, check out the like above for the Adhesive holders thread. I learned a bunch from it. Have fully converted one of my holders and am in the process of converting 3 more. It seems like a really good system.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Deardorff Sales and service

[QUOTE=David Lobato;874573]The film guide rails and everything else looks normal. The sticky pieces would make it difficult to slide film in the guides. Perhaps he used hand cut film slightly undersized? Or used a film with a thin flimsy base? Loose sheets can fall inside the camera after the dark slide is removed. There is more tape nearest the dark slide end as if vertical set ups were more likely to have film fall out.

As long as the film is moving it will slide right over the tape.. I shoot 12x20 and on a real hot day I've had the film pop right out of the holder as soon as I puled the darkslide. At studios is is law to add tape when tilting the camera down. why risk it? There are holders that grip the film when you pull the darkslide all the way. I have none so I can't give a brand. When you make the tape have contact, I use a sheet of foam core cut to the full format and rub on it. Avoids scratching. I also rub the tape with my finger to remove some of the tac.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

I always put a thin piece of double-sided tape inside my 8x10 holders. I only put in one piece not several as shown in your photo. The tape helps keep the film flat especially when camera is tilted down.

Thanks for all of your responses. Very helpful!

I also have to says thanks because I learned some good things here. Now I know to be more careful with my 8x10 film holders, especially while the camera is pointed down. I'm doing a restoration project on a 12x20 Korona camera and am certain double sticky tape will be necessary to keep film of that size in the film holder. TheDeardorffGuy, you saved me a bunch of trouble. And I have a V8 I really love.

I don't use tape. So far, I 've never had a reason to.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White