Thread: Crown Graphic swing?

Crown Graphic swing?

I've never used lens "swing" (pivot on the vertical axis) with LF equipment, but it has occurred to me on occasion that it could prove useful for some of the photos I shoot. Thus, my question: is there swing capability on a Crown Graphic? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the silver tab in the middle at the bottom of the assembly has something to do with it, but I can't seem to get it to work. Can someone walk me through it, if such a capability exists? Thanks in advance.

Crown Graphic swing?

That little tab in the center of the front standard must be depressed with your finger and, with the front slide lock lever loose, the front standard can be shifted left or right but not swung. A way to get any swing on these cameras would be to turn the camera on it's side as to make a vertical image, and use what would be backwards tilt on the horizontal format to effect a swing. Those two small knobs on the bottom sides of the front standard are loosened and the lens can be "swung"/ tilted. There is just no swing when using the horizontal, "landscape", mode.

Crown Graphic swing?

You could get a bit of swing (likely all you would need) by unlocking the front standard from the rails and 'twisting' it on the rails. That tab on the Super Graphic does allow both swing and shift of the front standard.