Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 890mm APO NIKKOR IMAGE CIRCLE @ 1:1 & INFINITY

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Re: 890mm APO NIKKOR IMAGE CIRCLE @ 1:1 & INFINITY

Hi Craig, sorry I don't have any information for you....I am trying to research long process lenses for use on 4x5 and 8x10. Just curious, do you have a link for the read on the 'flat field myth.' And if you don't mind sharing, where did you find your 890mm for a 'song'?
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Adam, PMFJI. Even with many eyes looking for bargains, there's occasionally an anomalous price on eBay (.com, .co.uk, .fr, .de, .es, .it) or on a site. IIRC, my 420 Apo Nikkor came from a seller on eBay.com, my 610 came from a seller on Astromart (Google found it bundled with a 305), my 610 from a seller on ebay.com, and my 900 Apo-Saphir (not a peep out of you, Nick, if you see this) from a seller on eBay. de. The most expensive cost $200 delivered, the others were considerably less.

Patience helps. These lenses aren't that common and the longer, the scarcer. If you want long lenses right now, put up a WTB on this forum's classifieds section and be prepared to pay. Pay close attention to eBay.de, there are usually many Apo Ronars, most shorter than you want, on offer there.

Since I'm essentially out of the market, here's my ebay search string (artar, claron, germinar, "gr ii", grii, ronar, apotal, apo-nikkor,apo-saphir, apo-skopar,apo-tessar,"process lens") You don't want a G-Claron or Konica Hexanon GR II, they're all too short for you, so drop those terms. Also consider looking for Industar 11-m, they come in a variety of focal lengths of which a few might be long enough. Soviet apo-tessars, see www.arnecroell.com for east bloc process lenses.

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Adam, PMFJI. Even with many eyes looking for bargains, there's occasionally an anomalous price on eBay (.com, .co.uk, .fr, .de, .es, .it) or on a site. IIRC, my 420 Apo Nikkor came from a seller on eBay.com, my 610 came from a seller on Astromart (Google found it bundled with a 305), my 610 from a seller on ebay.com, and my 900 Apo-Saphir (not a peep out of you, Nick, if you see this) from a seller on eBay. de. The most expensive cost $200 delivered, the others were considerably less.

Patience helps. These lenses aren't that common and the longer, the scarcer. If you want long lenses right now, put up a WTB on this forum's classifieds section and be prepared to pay. Pay close attention to eBay.de, there are usually many Apo Ronars, most shorter than you want, on offer there.

Since I'm essentially out of the market, here's my ebay search string (artar, claron, germinar, "gr ii", grii, ronar, apotal, apo-nikkor,apo-saphir, apo-skopar,apo-tessar,"process lens") You don't want a G-Claron or Konica Hexanon GR II, they're all too short for you, so drop those terms. Also consider looking for Industar 11-m, they come in a variety of focal lengths of which a few might be long enough. Soviet apo-tessars, see www.arnecroell.com for east bloc process lenses.
    Awesome! Thanks so much Dan! I really appreciate it, that is wonderful information!

Just one question....PMFJI..? Not sure what that means....Private Message For ...something, perhaps??

Thanks! Adam
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

Meh... kids' stuff

PMFJI = pardon me for jumping in

Kids' stuff? Absolutely. I'm in my second childhood.

Craig T

Quote Originally Posted by adam satushek View Post
    Hi Craig, sorry I don't have any information for you....I am trying to research long process lenses for use on 4x5 and 8x10. Just curious, do you have a link for the read on the 'flat field myth.' And if you don't mind sharing, where did you find your 890mm for a 'song'?
    Hi Adam,

Sorry I can't give you the direct link but I'm at work as a photography teacher and some of the sites get blocked by the department (for some strange reason)....I'd have to give it to you when I get home. In the meantime it was an article at www.wisner.com...here's another URL (I have access to) that will take you there and give you another read as well. I know it's talking 35mm but the information often still applies...

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24175676

FYI Ken Lee gave me a return PM and answered my other question about the unknown slot, I thought someone else might like the answer as well so this is what he said...'Those are degrees from 0 to 90, and are related to inserts which let you align the image with square dots used in printing. These are copy lenses after all.'...Thanks Ken

In regards to the purchase...Ebay does have quite a few of these sell. As inteerst grows in ULF and alternative processes (as it seems to be at the moment) these lenses get snapped up because they are so cheap. Mine cost a mere $250 from a seller in a local photography magazine here in Australia. Shipping cost me $25 so for $275 I've got a lens to shoot some seriously large plates. f11 isn't super-fast but still has a very limited DOF for plates/paper negs 30" square.

The cubestory link was terrific...thanks for sharing that one

http://www.craigtuffin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Tuffin View Post
    The cubestory link was terrific...thanks for sharing that one
    You're welcome. There is also Roland Wirtz, the German photographer who went even further and uses a 1800mm lens for 50x90" Ilfochrome sheets. Or should that be "used"?