Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix 045N-2 opinions needed...

Re: Chamonix 045N-2 opinions needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    I've been wondering about this myself. The Shen-Hao is, by the time you get the fresnel, in the same price range. Also in the same price range is the Tachihara. I like the looks of the Tachihara and it's well known and respected, but I like the interchangeable bellows on the Chamonix (and the Shen-Hao for that matter.)
    This looks like a nice one: http://ladewigs.com/Gallery/v/Mel_fa...28_04.jpg.html

Used maybe. New, no.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Used maybe. New, no.
    Over priced in your opinion?

Leo and Carter, thanks very much for the kind words about my work. Much appreciated!!

The Rookie

I've been using mine for about a year now. It's the replacement that the insurance company provided after my monorail outfit was stolen. The only disadvantage so far has been the couple of times that I've maxed out the rear swing before I got what I wanted on some architecture shots. The camera is light, convenient and reliable. I use a 240mm Sironar-S and a 90mm/f6.8 Super Angulon. It sports both lenses well. I can't attest to shorter lenses on the 45N2 because I haven't been able to afford one yet. In my opinion, it's the best bang for the buck in 4x5.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

I like the looks of the Tachihara and it's well known and respected, but I like the interchangeable bellows on the Chamonix (and the Shen-Hao for that matter.)

I owned the Tachihara before the N-2 and I prefer the Chamonix. In my very personal opinion, the Chamonix feels and looks better built, feels a bit more solid and has a smoother and more precise focusing mechanism. I was probably a little faster with the Tachihara since set up and focusing felt more intuitive to me on it. But then speed has never been my purpose with 4x5.

Given all these points, keep in mind that I really like the Tachihara.

All the best,
    Leo

No, nothing except used cameras are close in this price range. Hard to find a light, sturdy camera with accessories that can handle my 65mm and 450mm. If I ever switch my wehman 8x10 out, I'll get another chamonix just because I enjoy using the chamonix more.

Andrew Moxom

Vinny, i am loving the mk 1 version i have....superb machine

Quote Originally Posted by 36cm2 View Post
    I owned the Tachihara before the N-2 and I prefer the Chamonix. In my very personal opinion, the Chamonix feels and looks better built, feels a bit more solid and has a smoother and more precise focusing mechanism. I was probably a little faster with the Tachihara since set up and focusing felt more intuitive to me on it. But then speed has never been my purpose with 4x5.

Given all these points, keep in mind that I really like the Tachihara.

All the best,
    Leo
    Thanks Leo, that's very helpful. Even in the pre-digital days I shot LF in an area where I had to drive a bit just to find 35mm film in anything but consumer C41, and now even though I live in a major metro area most of this stuff I will never see in person until I buy it.

What's the current wait list time for a Chamonix 45N-2? I thought I might be in a hurry after stripping the tripod thread on my Tech III but that turned out to be an easy fix with a part (I'd only stripped a 1/4-20 insert in the 3/8s hole - I think so anyway) on the way. So I can continue using my Tech III for a while but I definitely need another camera.

What's the current wait list time for a Chamonix 45N-2?
    I would contact Hugo immediately. They are manufacturing this month (I know because I'm on the waiting list). Hugo said mine would be ready at the end of this month. Perhaps you can get on now. They only manufacture a couple of times a year as I understand it.