Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Re: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Paper with a good surface size like Cot 320 or Platine will probably work better than others but the dot gain will be high.

Re: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Paper with a good surface size like Cot 320 or Platine will probably work better than others but the dot gain will be high.
    How does dot gain apply to printing with VDB on surfaces like COT 320 and Platine? I only understood dot gain with reference to half tone negatives.

BTW, for VDB I have gotten very good results with Arches Platine and Stonhenge with no oxalic acid bath, and equally good results with Lanaquarelle and Fabriano Artistico with acid bath. I did not get good results (low Dmax) with COT 320, though the same paper worked great with palladium.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by adamc View Post
    +1 on the Lana Aquarelle HP for VanDyke brown prints.
    I give it a precoat of oxalic acid and get very consistant results with it.
    That's twice oxalic acid has been mentioned, could please expand on the use of it.
    Thanks
    Cheers Shane

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    That's twice oxalic acid has been mentioned, could please expand on the use of it.
    Thanks
    Hi, it's used to neutralize the buffering agents in some papers to make them suitable for the iron process printing. A 5% solution will usually suffice.
    Regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by SMBooth View Post
    Thanks
    As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I am wrong (I am learning this process too) Some papers are highly buffered so when the acidity of the process interacts with the paper a poor effect may occur; acidifying these papers produces a more desirable outcome (better print) The degree of buffering also varies from paper to paper.

Quote Originally Posted by David Brunell View Post
    As I understand it, and someone please correct me if I am wrong (I am learning this process too) Some papers are highly buffered so when the acidity of the process interacts with the paper a poor effect may occur; acidifying these papers produces a more desirable outcome (better print) The degree of buffering also varies from paper to paper.
    Buffered papers are not good for iron based processes though some can be made useable with acidification. Cataloged descriptions of papers may or may not note buffering.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    How does dot gain apply to printing with VDB on surfaces like COT 320 and Platine? I only understood dot gain with reference to half tone negatives.

BTW, for VDB I have gotten very good results with Arches Platine and Stonhenge with no oxalic acid bath, and equally good results with Lanaquarelle and Fabriano Artistico with acid bath. I did not get good results (low Dmax) with COT 320, though the same paper worked great with palladium.

Sandy
    I thought the poster was asking about printing with an inkjet printer onto untreated cotton fiber papers.

Don
    someone other than the OP asked if uncoated paper was good for inkjet printing so it went off on a bit of a tagent.
    Dot gain is most prevelent on ink press runs, and I guess to some degree one could consider the bleeding of ink on inkjet or the absorbtion as some sort of dot gain.

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    I thought the poster was asking about printing with an inkjet printer onto untreated cotton fiber papers.

I have bought good papers from Jerry's in the past. The label usually indicates buffering. Jerry's web site lists the papers and information about them very accurately. You might try looking there before going to the store.

To clarify, the problem with buffered papers when used with the iron processes is that maximum reflective Dmax is usually very low. For example, when I use Lanaquarelle out of the box with no acid pre-treatment the maximum Dmax is around 1.35 with gold toned vandyke. When pre-soaked with oxalic acid 1.5% for a couple of minutes the maximum Dmax jumps to 1.55 or more. Another problem with buffered papers is that the iron stain may not clear. It is important to use a paper that clears well as any residual iron left in the paper may cause the image to fade in the long term.

Some papers require a stronger oxalic acid pre-soak, and/or longer soak time. It depends on the weight of the paper, and the thickness and type of the existing sizing. It is important to test new stock as new batches of paper may not perform like older batches.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon