Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Re: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Great, thanks guys, this really helps. I didn't know where to start in regard to brands and websites. Lots of choices now!

I would prefer to buy at a local art store but I'm afraid all that is offered here is Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I'll check there, but I assume they don't carry this kinda thing?
    Cot 320, excellent for all iron based processes.. Lanaquarel treated wit oxalic acid is also excellent for VDB, Agyrotype, and Kallitype as well as palladium. Arches Platine. There are many others. You should shop around to get the besr prices. You also need a step tablet and a reliable UV light source.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Great, thanks guys, this really helps. I didn't know where to start in regard to brands and websites. Lots of choices now!

I would prefer to buy at a local art store but I'm afraid all that is offered here is Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I'll check there, but I assume they don't carry this kinda thing?
    Our local hobby lobby usual has Fabriano Aristico and Canson Montval papers that work good but they have texture to them and need to be treated with oxallic acid. They are relatively inexpensive to experiment with.
    Regards
    Erik

Re: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Weston's Diploma Parchment Plat-Pal is an inexpensive paper and needs no treatment for pt/pd. It has a very smooth surface and a very attractive warm color---if you like warm-tone papers. Very nicely complements palladium. It is a little light so probably isn't suitable for very large prints. I have no problem with
    11 x 14's. $78.32 for 50 11 x 14 sheets. www.butlerdearden.com
    Wayne
    Wayne Lambert
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    www.waynelambert.net

As a newbie, I have to ask, would these papers work for inkjet printing also?

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    Be careful of the information you get at an art store. I have found very few in the past several years who know anything about their paper. Most papers today are buffered and you don't want to use those. Read the label on the original package carefully before you buy anything. Until you gain more knowledge, you should order from reliable dealers who know the papers will work, like Bostick & Sullivan.
    Will the packaging specifically say buffered or unbuffered? We have a supply store here (Jerry's Artarama) that has a very nice selection of papers. I've picked up some of these for drawing and painting, but if they can be used with alternative printing processes, that's quite a bonus.

Yes , but finding a profile would be difficult, you basically would have to test adjust, test adjust until you are happy, we use arches and fabriano for this purpose.

Yes to me?
    I generate pretty good profiles w/ my ColorMunki with the many different papers that I have used.

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Yes , but finding a profile would be difficult, you basically would have to test adjust, test adjust until you are happy, we use arches and fabriano for this purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    As a newbie, I have to ask, would these papers work for inkjet printing also?

uncoated paper sucks up the ink to a much greater extent than inkjet coated papers.
    Sometimes it really is hit and miss

Quote Originally Posted by buggz View Post
    Yes to me?
    I generate pretty good profiles w/ my ColorMunki with the many different papers that I have used.

That makes sense, I already have enough expen$ive inkjet platine rag type papers anywho.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    uncoated paper sucks up the ink to a much greater extent than inkjet coated papers.
    Sometimes it really is hit and miss

Adam Costello

Quote Originally Posted by J. Fada View Post
    Lana Aquarelle Hot Press is a great paper. It is nice and smooth. Great paper to start with and it is easy to find in almost any art store.
    +1 on the Lana Aquarelle HP for VanDyke brown prints.
    I give it a precoat of oxalic acid and get very consistant results with it.