Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

I've been searching/Googling but I can't seam to find some simple suggestions for paper to use making some Van Dykes. Paper is a common word so I'm just not getting specific enough results.

I'm looking for a smooth paper, not textured, in sizes for 8x10 and 11x14 prints (or just sheets that I can cut). I don't need anything ultra-fancy right now so some budget but good paper suggestions are appreciated.

This is unknown territory for me so excuse the elementary question.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Re: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Stonehenge.

Such as from Bostick & Sullivan.

Cranes cover from the Formulary and Lanaquarelle both have smooth surfaces and should work for you. Stonehenge as already mentioned is fairly inexpensive as well as Rives BFK. Platine is nice but not exactly cheap. If you can deal with a little texture, you open yourself up to a wide range of choices. Visit any art supply store and look at the variety.
    Regards
    Erik

Re: Suggestions for 100% cotton rag paper for alternative processes (Van Dyke, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Larsen View Post
    Cranes cover from the Formulary and Lanaquarelle both have smooth surfaces and should work for you. Stonehenge as already mentioned is fairly inexpensive as well as Rives BFK. Platine is nice but not exactly cheap. If you can deal with a little texture, you open yourself up to a wide range of choices. Visit any art supply store and look at the variety.
    Regards
    Erik
    Be careful of the information you get at an art store. I have found very few in the past several years who know anything about their paper. Most papers today are buffered and you don't want to use those. Read the label on the original package carefully before you buy anything. Until you gain more knowledge, you should order from reliable dealers who know the papers will work, like Bostick & Sullivan.

An ox acid bath will allow the use of many buffered papers, no need to limit yourself IMO.
    Regards
    Erik

Check these papers as they are all designed for hand coating. I am new to the Van Dyke process myself and just ordered somr arches platine. It has a very smooth texture designed for Pt/Pd and is supposed to work equally well with Van Dyke Brown and Kallitype as well. I don't know if it is 100% cotton rag but it seemed like the best choice for a quality print. A bit on the expensive side but paper choice plays a pretty important role in the finished product right?

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=18

Lana Aquarelle Hot Press is a great paper. It is nice and smooth. Great paper to start with and it is easy to find in almost any art store.

Great, thanks guys, this really helps. I didn't know where to start in regard to brands and websites. Lots of choices now!

I would prefer to buy at a local art store but I'm afraid all that is offered here is Hobby Lobby and Michaels. I'll check there, but I assume they don't carry this kinda thing?
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome