Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: American Girl

funkadelic

Re: American Girl

Quote Originally Posted by austin granger View Post
    American Girls

In the spirit of full disclosure, I feel like I should add that my daughter has one of these. Her name (the doll's) is Rebecca Rubin. She's a Russian Jewish girl growing up in New York in 1910.

Austin,
    It's my understanding that the doll the girl has is supposed to be her little "twin", hence the large variety of ethnic choices. I must confess that we bought into this cult also. OK, my daughter and her mother did. I was just guilty by association and decided that while I must pick my battles, this was one I was going to lose anyway.
    We recently went to Atlanta to support a family member in the national cheerleading competition. There was a conspiracy in the works. Little did I know that they had been planning for weeks to visit the American Girl store on the way back home. Nothing there is cheap. A visit to one of these stores is a great day for a little girl with one of these dolls. For some activities in the store, advance reservations may be required.
    You have been warned.

I am soooo happy my triplets ended up being all boys...

I've got girls, and they've got girl cousins, and American Girl is big in our big family. I didn't know how popular it was in greater society. The news article focused on the vanity aspect of it, but that's avoiding a big part of their success story, a part that is hard to show with photos.

To the parents at least, it's better than normal vain dolls, as it's part of a system of education regarding different periods of American History from different young people's perspectives. It's not just a pretty doll, it's part of a complex and elaborate hands-on educational tool. There's an immense amount of well written books written with several for each doll. There are even wholesome movies that are based on the books. You don't get that with barbies or bratz. We borrow "American Girl" books from the school library and my daughter gets the books to own for $1 each at goodwill. The amount of history and diversity it can bring to girls who would otherwise have no interest is very unique and effective.

My 6yo has the "Kit" American Girl, who grew up in the depression and wants to be a journalist and has a folding-bellows camera complete with miniature roll of Kodak film, notepad, & pencil. Of course they share a resemblance. My daughter gets to play with real cameras with bellows and real Kodak film. Kit has an optional fruit crate scooter that a friend made for her in one of her stories. I made a life size one with my daughter using a crate, a pine board, and a $10 skateboard.

All the clothes and accessories are way over priced, but you don't have to get them.

For me, the most interesting aspect of the phenomenon is the genetic menu. It seems an eerie correlate to the fertility industry, and the promise (increasingly delivered) of the opportunity for prospective parents to choose the genetic traits of their potential offspring. Will the memories of their American Girls dolls resonate with their former owners when, in 20 years, or so, they're given similar "options" by their fertility doctors?

funkadelic

I'm interested in hearing more about this camera with bellows and film. Is it like a folder that fits in one's pocket, or is it a view camera? My daughter has used both and she would probably be excited about this. She's already proud of the fact that none of the kids in her class had a clue when she told them about her darkroom experience. She's probably been exposed to more creative/artistic work than anyone in her class.

I have been shooting little brats (attached) as well as rubber ducky's with my new series.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Little Brat 2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	71806Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Little Brat.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	170.3 KB 
ID:	71807

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...140467/uid/258

It's a folder, like an old 6x9cm kodak medium format camera. The way it folds up and goes into it's case is quite realistic.

My nephew observed me re-loading my TLR after easter dinner. He didn't understand what film was when he saw me open a new roll of 120 film. The girls told him it was like a battery and you have to change it to keep taking photos.

W K Longcor

Three of my four grandchildren are girls. They all have American girl dolls. I think they are great. They teach a bit about history and good values -- unlike those awful Bratz and boobie Barbies. And - playing with them does NOT involve sitting at a computer!

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    http://store.americangirl.com/agshop...140467/uid/258

It's a folder, like an old 6x9cm kodak medium format camera. The way it folds up and goes into it's case is quite realistic.

My nephew observed me re-loading my TLR after easter dinner. He didn't understand what film was when he saw me open a new roll of 120 film. The girls told him it was like a battery and you have to change it to keep taking photos.
    Thanks for the link!
    I'll give you bonus points if you can correctly identify it by model number. I just realized that of all the folders I've used over the years, I have never had a Kodak. Mostly Zeiss, Voigtlander and Agfa... no Kodak.

Mine like Hotwheels - no dolls in my sphere of life - whew !!