I still have sons.

Re: American Girl

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I still have sons.
    Funny! Good point though, so do we.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

It could be worse. This is my wife's obsession: http://dollstown.com/mydoll.htm The dolls are custom, Leica prices. She makes perfect costumes, stages, photos of them doing strange things. I'm oddly tempted to start photographing them myself, they are interesting and scary at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    It could be worse. This is my wife's obsession: http://dollstown.com/mydoll.htm The dolls are custom, Leica prices. She makes perfect costumes, stages, photos of them doing strange things. I'm oddly tempted to start photographing them myself, they are interesting and scary at times.
    Yes, those are much different. Julia likes them, too. They're very photogenic, I think, in an uncanny way. I've seen videos that are disturbing, in a good way (if you like being disturbed, like I do)

Frank, those are very popular dolls amongst some males in Japan... they are creapily real. I remember watching a tv program over there where full grown men treated them as a companion. Dressed them, ate dinner with them, bathed together, (censored) together. I'll stick with my blow-up doll.

Smile Re: American Girl

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    I've got girls, and they've got girl cousins, and American Girl is big in our big family. I didn't know how popular it was in greater society. The news article focused on the vanity aspect of it, but that's avoiding a big part of their success story, a part that is hard to show with photos.

To the parents at least, it's better than normal vain dolls, as it's part of a system of education regarding different periods of American History from different young people's perspectives. It's not just a pretty doll, it's part of a complex and elaborate hands-on educational tool. There's an immense amount of well written books written with several for each doll. There are even wholesome movies that are based on the books. You don't get that with barbies or bratz. We borrow "American Girl" books from the school library and my daughter gets the books to own for $1 each at goodwill. The amount of history and diversity it can bring to girls who would otherwise have no interest is very unique and effective.

My 6yo has the "Kit" American Girl, who grew up in the depression and wants to be a journalist and has a folding-bellows camera complete with miniature roll of Kodak film, notepad, & pencil. Of course they share a resemblance. My daughter gets to play with real cameras with bellows and real Kodak film. Kit has an optional fruit crate scooter that a friend made for her in one of her stories. I made a life size one with my daughter using a crate, a pine board, and a $10 skateboard.

All the clothes and accessories are way over priced, but you don't have to get them.
    Just wait until they discover Madame Alexander dolls!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

funkadelic

Frank,
    Think "Trilogy of Terror", circa 1975.

Our granddaughter has three and the wheel chair doll is one of them. I see them as mostly positive as they serve the same purpose our boy's superman and batman did, and our cowboys and Indians and soldiers did when I grew up, they create a kind of fantasy in which we grow up and in which we play various parts that hopefully lead to maturity. And as someone noted above they provide another space than cyberspace. All things can be carried to extremes but that is not a reason to abandon them.

FWIW, my daughter graduated fro dolls to jockeys.We a spent last friday at Santa Anita---it's actually cheaper than collecting American Girls! .
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    FWIW, my daughter graduated fro dolls to jockeys.We a spent last friday at Santa Anita---it's actually cheaper than collecting American Girls! .
    For the sake of clarification, can you please elaborate?
    Disc jockeys, lawn jockeys, riding jockeys or other?