Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QR Code?

Re: QR Code?

Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

I don't think it's really taken hold outside of the techy geek world. My iPhone-equipped family has no idea what it is, in spite of being bonded to their phones like an appendage.

I've used them on various things, not many hits. If I worked in the tech sector then I'd use them, maybe some ad agencies would be savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I don't think it's really taken hold outside of the techy geek world. My iPhone-equipped family has no idea what it is, in spite of being bonded to their phones like an appendage.

I've used them on various things, not many hits. If I worked in the tech sector then I'd use them, maybe some ad agencies would be savvy.
    Not even that crowd has caught on to it. We made two sheets of letter size paper for the PhotoPlus Show last month in NYC. Each sheet had all of our product lines listed along with a QR code that would directly lead to complete info on each product lines product ranges. The top of the sheet was labled "FOR FURTHER INFORMATION SCAN THE CODES".

These were on our showcase and on a table, both along the main aisle. Hardly anyone scanned the codes.

Supplying literature and information at tradeshows by QR codes represent tremendous cost savings in the manning of a tradeshow booth. Most of you probably are not aware of the DRAYAGE charge at trade shows. This is a charge by the show decorator for receiving the merchandise exhibited at a show in the USA. It is based on the incoming weight and is the charge for receiving the merchadise, storing it in their warehouse (if an advanced shipment) or at the show facility. Bringing it to the booth, removing and storing the empties during the show, returning the empties to the booth at the end of the show and taking the filled return shipment to the warehouse or loading dock for return from the show.

The catch to drayage charge is that it is always based on the weight of the incoming shipment (except for publishers) and that incoming shipment contains a vast amount of print materiL that is given away during the show, as well as giveaways like bags to hold the literature at some companies.

So the outgoing charge is based on incoming weight even though the outgoing is far less heavy then the incoming weight. This drive up costs dramatically. QR coding can eliminate almost all of that give-away printed material and deliver more info and the most current info.

Depending on the client and their product I use them. They are quite useful and can generate a fair amount of traffic. However I feel the application for photographers is quite limited with the exception of maybe commercial photographers who's work is aimed at a younger early adopter demographic. I had one client who plastered their QR code on their business vehicles. The resulting business surpassed any other media they invested in with the exception of their SEO optimized website.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    I had a QR code generated for me on a weird web site and included it on the back of a postcard for mailings. Nothing happened. First I thought: Hm, maybe the code is wrong. So I started to research if I could decode my QR code (as a png file). Uploaded it to different web site services and bingo - the QR code is correct. Which translates into the insight that QR code is not yet fully accepted. Or it is not yet accepted in my target group. Or it is too much hot air.

I don't know.

Oh, BTW, I tried to downscale it - unless you don't resample the QR code, it becomes blurry. I wonder how sharp the QR code must be to be 'readable' by apps...
    If this situation happened, try another QR Code barcode generator. It may be because of your QR Code barcode generator. There many kinds of barcodes barcode generator according to the different platform you want to create barcodes in. For example, if you want to generate barcodes in VB.NET. You can put "VB.NET QR Code barcode generator with guide" in goole, thousands of barcode generators appear. Choose a good one to have a try.

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    [...] we don't seem to have any stats as to how many website hits we get from the codes.
    Presuming your server generates a log file that you can access, you can track QR hits by having the code go to a very small page that immediately redirects to your main page. The log will show that QR hit as the name of the page. Try something like /QR/index.htm

QR Code generator library which allows size setting is not difficult to find. Just make full use of Google. This was the good generator I used last time. It also provides detailed guide of barcode image settings in C#.

I'm part of the geek world, and consider them wanna-be geeky items. Really it's easier to type a URL than start an app, compose a finicky camera just right, and pray it works.

Sort of like using your phone instead of a paper boarding pass. I've done it but its a PITA to make sure your phone is switched on at the right instant and has the bar code on the screen when the TSA folks want to scan it. I've gone back to paper. Just fold it up and stick it in your pocket and whip it out at the right time and hand it over and let them write on it. I average maybe 4 to 6 flights a week and I don't see very many people using the phone as a boarding pass.

I have mine on my flyer as well as on my website.
    Here is one of my website, scroll down and you will see it on the bottom left handside.
    Sydney Treasures Photography