Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: QR Code?

QR Code?

Does anyone use QR codes on their promotional items? Biz cards, pamphlets, etc?

I'm photographing a lot of strangers lately and I often feel that handing them a biz card seems a bit passe. Since so many of them have smart phones I'm considering simply converting my business card to a QR Code linking my website.

What are your thoughts?

T

I generally advocate for them in any print materials we produce at work, since they are easy to generate and don't cost anything, but we don't seem to have any stats as to how many website hits we get from the codes. I figure it can't hurt to have another way of connecting print to the web for marketing purposes.

retrogrouchy

Re: QR Code?

Only a very narrow audience will have any clue what it is and how to read it, let alone the inclination. By all means have one, but I think it would be the height of foolishness to have it be the only way of discovering your address.

We are starting to add them to our ads as it is a very cost effective way to impart more details, information, videos, etc. about our products without having to increase our ad sizes or ad budget.

I'd put the QR code on your card but still keep the text info on it, because there's still a lot of people that don't know what a QR is.

Also, I've heard of photographers placing a QR plaque next to displayed work. The QR contains a link to a web page about the photo. Some venues might not allow sales/pricing info to be displayed with the photo, or simply have a limit on the displayed metadata of the photo, so this is kind of a back door way to make that info available.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    Only a very narrow audience will have any clue what it is and how to read it, let alone the inclination. By all means have one, but I think it would be the height of foolishness to have it be the only way of discovering your address.
    Apropos of that...

http://picturesofpeoplescanningqrcodes.tumblr.com/

retrogrouchy

Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    lol

There is a related tumblr, wtfqrcodes of spectacularly stupidly-placed QR codes, e.g. in a website, a code on a highway billboard, a tiny code on a billboard on the far side of a subway track, a code fractured across multiple posters, a code wrapped around a circular post, etc. Best use I've seen (though borderline-offensively sexist) was putting QR codes on the asses of dresses on models at one of the US tech-shows (CES or the like); resulted in lots of photos of asses photographing models' asses.

I like the idea of putting one by each image in a gallery.

I had a QR code generated for me on a weird web site and included it on the back of a postcard for mailings. Nothing happened. First I thought: Hm, maybe the code is wrong. So I started to research if I could decode my QR code (as a png file). Uploaded it to different web site services and bingo - the QR code is correct. Which translates into the insight that QR code is not yet fully accepted. Or it is not yet accepted in my target group. Or it is too much hot air.

I don't know.

Oh, BTW, I tried to downscale it - unless you don't resample the QR code, it becomes blurry. I wonder how sharp the QR code must be to be 'readable' by apps...

This site generates codes for free. No strings attached. Just enter where you want the code to lead to. We use our products web page addresses from our web site.

http://invx.com/#code%3Dwww.wista.co...3D%26height%3D

But if you will print them then they must be on a surface that the cameras in the phones can decipher.

Bob, thanks a lot! That site is great because it lets you select the size of the code.

Now all I need is a savvy target group with smart phones and the necessary apps.