Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEWBIE alert!: Shutter for TR Triple Convertible?

NEWBIE alert!: Shutter for TR Triple Convertible?

Hey! I just got my first two lenses for my new 8x10 rig--a Wollensak "Tasope" process lens in barrel and a TR triple convertible in shutter.

The problem is: the shutter it came in (an Optimo #4) doesn't work at all--I can't see either the shutter or aperture blades in the mechanism, and it's in several pieces... not to mention it's probably caked with grime on the inside.

So I'm wondering: Where could I find a replacement shutter that would work? I've heard that an Ilex 5 or Copal 3 could work..? Ebay, however, yields only lenses IN shutters, no lone shutters.

Help?!

Isaac

Re: NEWBIE alert!: Shutter for TR Triple Convertible?

Mine is in a Betax #4 but I have another Betax #4 that doesn't fit it. Have you thought of calling SK Grimes to see if they have any ideas?

Or post a WTB ad in the FS forum. I've had good luck finding things I wasn't optimistic about finding, there.

I think that's what I'll do. Tomorrow I'll discuss the matter with my local tech and see if he think's it's worth a CLA, too.

Thanks, y'all.

Before I bought another shutter I'd be sure to at a minimum measure the diameter and thread pitch of the elements as a lot of shutters were made in slightly different versions to fit specific lenses. It would help to be as specific as you can about which lens and element thread diameter you want to fit. Wouldn't hurt to know the spacing of the elements as well.

Even Copal 3 shutters come in more than one cell diameter - there's a #3 and a #3S but I don't think they were always so good about marking which was which

Yeah--I just wish I could get the aperture working--I don't really need the shutter part for the stuff I'm doing...

For what it's worth, I have two TRTs, and they are my favorite lenses for 8x10. I didn't pay much for either them, and they're both in good working shutters. Might be cheaper/easier to find lenses in shutters than to buy a shutter and have one mounted.

Check with Carol at Flutot's Camera Repair. She has worked miracles for some of my antique shutters and is extremely reasonable on price.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Try Carol. No matter how many times I've tried I haven't been able to get her to fail yet. And her prices are the most reasonable I've found anywhere. Maybe you can be the first to get her to throw up her hands in despair.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

Again, Carol.

And, if you give up on that shutter, she may be able to use the parts to fix the next guy's shutter.
    Vincent

AnonymousPictures.tumblr.com