Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Re: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Quote Originally Posted by olvrkrg View Post
    Figure 16, designated Apo Ronar 240 f16, is definetly a mistake. Rules of Optics do not allow a depth of field of 30 or 40cm with a scale down of estimated only 1:4.
    LF-cameras allow for Scheimpflug...

Jeroen, hello! Tahnk you very much fopr your artcile on the large format lenses, very informative and with examples. I have been very impressed with the photo made with the Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 240 where focus is so unique it looks totally amazing. I am thinking to buy large format camera and really would love to know what you used as such focusing makes my heart as a mainly a portrait photographer feel endless happiness. Also would love to ask about the size of the negative, i usually use 13x18 cm, 18x24 cm and plan to get 8x10 inches and 30 x 30 cm. Thank you a lot! Best regards from Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Řyvind:D View Post
    The biggest reason for difference between the photos I see, is the lighting, not the lenses. What I see as outdoor portraits has nicer reflections of the skin than the studio portraits, so the "holy grail of portrait" is not the lens, but the light ;-)
    I do not agree fully on this one its about 80% the light and maybe 20% the lens and film in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Řyvind:D View Post
    The biggest reason for difference between the photos I see, is the lighting, not the lenses. What I see as outdoor portraits has nicer reflections of the skin than the studio portraits, so the "holy grail of portrait" is not the lens, but the light ;-)
    Although, I know what Armin means... I would definitely have to agree with you here.
    Over the years, I have learned that 'Lighting'... Is always of the very utmost and 'Primary' importance.
    --
    If, I ever had to make a choice between using the 'Best' Lens for the Job...
    Or seeking the 'Best' Lighting for the Job -- I would always choose the very best Lighting. Thank-you!

Kind Regards, -Tim.

"Lighting is vital. Without that they've got Nothing."

~~ Joe Grant. ~~

"If, I ever had to make a choice between using the 'Best' Lens for the Job...
    Or seeking the 'Best' Lighting for the Job -- I would always choose the very best Lighting. Thank-you!"

If you manage to realize the best lighting, why not have a good lens as well? A portait with a Heliar will then look much better than with an Apo-Symmar L.