Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Re: New article: Large format lenses for portraits

Quote Originally Posted by olvrkrg View Post
    Figure 16, designated Apo Ronar 240 f16, is definetly a mistake. Rules of Optics do not allow a depth of field of 30 or 40cm with a scale down of estimated only 1:4.
    LF-cameras allow for Scheimpflug...

Jeroen, hello! Tahnk you very much fopr your artcile on the large format lenses, very informative and with examples. I have been very impressed with the photo made with the Rodenstock Apo-Ronar 240 where focus is so unique it looks totally amazing. I am thinking to buy large format camera and really would love to know what you used as such focusing makes my heart as a mainly a portrait photographer feel endless happiness. Also would love to ask about the size of the negative, i usually use 13x18 cm, 18x24 cm and plan to get 8x10 inches and 30 x 30 cm. Thank you a lot! Best regards from Moscow

Quote Originally Posted by Øyvind:D View Post
    The biggest reason for difference between the photos I see, is the lighting, not the lenses. What I see as outdoor portraits has nicer reflections of the skin than the studio portraits, so the "holy grail of portrait" is not the lens, but the light ;-)
    I do not agree fully on this one its about 80% the light and maybe 20% the lens and film in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Øyvind:D View Post
    The biggest reason for difference between the photos I see, is the lighting, not the lenses. What I see as outdoor portraits has nicer reflections of the skin than the studio portraits, so the "holy grail of portrait" is not the lens, but the light ;-)
    Although, I know what Armin means... I would definitely have to agree with you here.
    Over the years, I have learned that 'Lighting'... Is always of the very utmost and 'Primary' importance.
    --
    If, I ever had to make a choice between using the 'Best' Lens for the Job...
    Or seeking the 'Best' Lighting for the Job -- I would always choose the very best Lighting. Thank-you!

Kind Regards, -Tim.

"Lighting is vital. Without that they've got Nothing."

~~ Joe Grant. ~~

"If, I ever had to make a choice between using the 'Best' Lens for the Job...
    Or seeking the 'Best' Lighting for the Job -- I would always choose the very best Lighting. Thank-you!"

If you manage to realize the best lighting, why not have a good lens as well? A portait with a Heliar will then look much better than with an Apo-Symmar L.

Hello Jeroen.

Thanks a lot for this article and sharing your experience on the use of those lenses.

I was happy to see I choosed some appropriate lenses such as Schneider Symmar S 210 mm and Rodenstock Ronar 240 mm. They are very good for townscapes. I will use them for portraits.

Do you know of a book or article about the portrait in LF? I want to train with scheimpflung on it...

regards

Ariel

Dear Ariel,

There are inspiring books by good portrait photographers who typically do not reveal the technicalities, and there are technical books, e.g. on Scheimpflug, that do not explain how to make portraits in LF. So the only thing I could recommend is to practice a lot. It helps a great deal if you make your sitter feel comfortable and arrange some support for the head such that it does not move when you fiddle the knobs.

Best,

Jeroen

Hi Ariel,

Sinar published a book on people photography with Sinar LF cameras back in the 90s. The book is kind of pricey and short, but here is a link to the book on AMAZON.com:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...le+photography

Namaste,
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by DolphinDan View Post
    Hi Ariel,

Sinar published a book on people photography with Sinar LF cameras back in the 90s. The book is kind of pricey and short, but here is a link to the book on AMAZON.com:

Namaste,
    Daniel
    Sorry, but that link does not work.

Amazon says: "We found 0 results for "sinar if people photography"

"People Photography (Creative Large Format) People Photography is the fourth volume in the series Creative Large Format.
    Photography in the large format is the new trend, especially in demanding advertising and fashion photography."

Product Details:

Series: Creative Large Format
    Paperback: 95 pages
    Publisher: Sinar Publications AG (April 1996)
    ISBN-10: 372310049X
    ISBN-13: 978-3723100493