Thread: New Old Stock/New/Cheap Knock Off

New Old Stock/New/Cheap Knock Off

Re: New Old Stock/New/Cheap Knock Off

deardorff is back by the way

I think I have seen that photo a long while back. The non-folding/short bellows extension seems familiar.

I wonder how a demo like that ended up in China?
    I mean, with so many LF cameras built in China why would someone go to the trouble of importing a salesman's unused sample 'dorff? And a Tennessee production at that---certainly back when the name was moved to TN, China wasn't the hotbed of LF interest it seems to be these days. Of course Deardorffs did travel to the far corners of the universe (a good cartoon might be a picture of two astronauts in a lunar rover discovering a V8 'dorff sitting on a tripod at the bottom of some moon crater!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Someone posted that here, a while ago. Short bed, what appears to be the standard bellows; I don't know what it is, but I strongly doubt it's a salesman's sample.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

So they forced some Chinese slaves to chisel and file the parts with their teeth for their knock-off, no big deal.

Hey, if Deardorff is hiring travelling sales reps, I'd sure like to put in an application
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

With the short bed it looks like a demo unit for show and tell, and maybe for marketing. It would be limited for use with most 8x10 lenses. For me, it'd be good for spare parts, though those pretty new pieces would clash on my well worn and scarred V8.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    With the short bed it looks like a demo unit for show and tell, and maybe for marketing. It would be limited for use with most 8x10 lenses. For me, it'd be good for spare parts, though those pretty new pieces would clash on my well worn and scarred V8.
    Certainly wouldn't have a place next to my V8. I guess you could find a 210 w.a. lens or so that might work with it for landscape sort of shots but not for 6900 dollars.

tim in san jose