Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Taco" Processing

Question "Taco" Processing

I'm going to start processing 5x7 using the taco method. I'm curious about any advice about changes in agitation or best developers. I'd like to use D-76 or HC-110, but am open to suggestions. I'm going to use a double 35mm tank. How many negatives can I get in one? Any recommendations for the easiest tanks to use? Thanks for any help & sorry for all the questions.

Re: "Taco" Processing

I've used both Paterson and Jobo tanks -- both are the center tube/filler type that fill from the bottom, and Nikor-style SS tanks wiothout the center tube. When I use the SS tanks, I turn out the lights, remove the top and fill quickly with plain water, replace the top, and do a pre-wash. Then I turn the lights out again and add the developer the same way. The rest of the processing is done in room light. With the Paterson/ Jobo tanks, it's all done in room light after the film is loaded.

The best way to determine how many sheets your tank can hold is to use old junk film, or cut paper to the same dimensions, and test fit it in your tank. If you're using the Paterson type tanks, the center column should be in place before you put the film in. I don't think 5x7 will fit in a double 35mm Paterson tank. In fact, I'm not sure 4x5 will.

As for agitation, I recommend continuous gentle inversion agitation, though I've had success rolling the tanks, too.

I think either of those developers should be fine.

Good luck!

Don't think 5x7 will fit in a Paterson 2-reeler, "Taco" style. I use this tank for 4x5's (4 inch side vertical) and the funnel-lid just closes with a little pressure on the Tacos.

5x7 does not fit in any of my double 35mm tanks, even just 1 around the edges.

Bought a Paterson 2 reel tank and just processed my first two sheets using the taco method. The funnel portion presses down on the film a little bit and I got a very bad scratch on the corner of on sheet of film. On the recommendation of another thread I just ordered an Arista Premium two reel tank which will be here tomorrow, I'll let you know if the film fits better.

In searching various posts on the taco method I have found reports that the Paterson two reel tank works, that it works but you may get scratched on the corner of your film, and that it doesn't work. This of course was after buying the Paterson. Guess that's the internet for you. Anyway I'll report back on the Arista tank once I've tried it.

Roger

I tried taco processing for a while, but it was fiddly and inconsistent. I got some rubber window screen material, sewed little tubes, and used it in a 120 tank. It was ok but not great. I've since got a jobo 3010 expert drum and a beseler motor base. However, the other day I came across this, and you guys might be interested. It looks pretty cool (I haven't tried it and don't even know the guy, so YMMV).

http://www.mod54.com/

Yes, the Expert drums are much nicer than bending tacos. I never had any problem with tacos, but it is fiddlier than loading the Expert tanks. I don't do much rotary processing anymore, preferring intermittent agitation, but when I do, I use my Expert tanks.

Do I assume that with a Rotary Processor that you lose the ability for Stand & Semi-Stand development?

Quote Originally Posted by urs0polar View Post
    I tried taco processing for a while, but it was fiddly and inconsistent. I got some rubber window screen material, sewed little tubes, and used it in a 120 tank. It was ok but not great. I've since got a jobo 3010 expert drum and a beseler motor base. However, the other day I came across this, and you guys might be interested. It looks pretty cool (I haven't tried it and don't even know the guy, so YMMV).

http://www.mod54.com/
    I use one of these mod54 tanks regularly. It was easy to get the hang of loading and my results are consistently good.

I agree with Tony. I don't think a 5x7 would fit in the 2 reel tank. I process 4x5 in the patterson 2 reel and have had great consistant results. I use the same aggitation method I do with 120 film or 35mm. If I have more than 4 sheets I use hankers and the dip method.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Evans View Post
    Don't think 5x7 will fit in a Paterson 2-reeler, "Taco" style. I use this tank for 4x5's (4 inch side vertical) and the funnel-lid just closes with a little pressure on the Tacos.