Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Epson v700 or v750

Re: Epson v700 or v750

Hi !

I don't know what happens with Epson but since July 2013, the V750 pro is sold with silverfast SE 8 plus (here in europe) therefore since I decided to buy this so-called scanner for Xmas, I wonder why I should pay an extra 20 bucks just to get a caoted lens (which hasn't been proved better) and a anti newton glass.

Entering 2014 what should I buy ? isn't a V700 with a betterscanning a better choice than a bare V750 ?

Please help...
    Large format photography is not only about size.

I have a V700 and it's a great scanner. I think the only difference between the V700 and V750 was a different film guide, but I'm not 100% sure.

I would get a V700 and a Better Scanning holder http://www.betterscanning.com/scanni...s/vseries.html

FYI I don't have the Better Scanning film holder, but it's on my list

Thanks Shootar

V700 and V750 are the same scanners, the only difference lays with the coated lens and anti newton glass for the most expensive, here in Europe the price gap between V700 and V750 is 200 dollars, IOW the price for a betterscanning system...

I have to make up my mind quickly, the french taxes are increasing in January.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurent L View Post
    Thanks Shootar

V700 and V750 are the same scanners, the only difference lays with the coated lens and anti newton glass for the most expensive, here in Europe the price gap between V700 and V750 is 200 dollars, IOW the price for a betterscanning system...

I have to make up my mind quickly, the french taxes are increasing in January.
    I have used both of them, the V700 and the V750. There is not $200 difference in value IMO. I might pay $25 more for a V750, but certainly not $200 more.

Putting aside software bundles, the only difference between the V700 and V750 is that the V750 has an anti-reflection optical coating applied to the CCD glass. The lenses of both models are coated the same way and are identical.

Buy the V700 and get on with your new year. I hate to think how much more taxes will increase in France!!

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Thanks Sandy

I'm tired of wasting my time looking for informations about V700 V750, I should be in my darkroom processing my sheets instead ! That's why I will follow your advice et get myself a V700.

I will be able to enjoy my C41 and E6 4x5 and to share them here and there...

Mmmm I think 2014 is gonna be a good year

Best regards from France

Laurent

We use a V750 and scan 35's, 6 x 6 and large format, using present holders and recommendations of Epsom. Perhaps Chuck can share the critical focus plane with us and what we need to do to get the perfect scan. Perhaps this should then be passed onto Epsom who will no doubt alert the media to the findings.

I've posted focus data and resolution data previously here but will summarize what I've found for my V750 PRO again since there has been a very high level of interest.

For best focus using the 4X5 Epson carrier (high res lens arrangement) the focus is known to vary from machine to machine but seems to fall within the 3 to 4 mm above the surface of the platen.
    I've measured a depth of focus of about 2 mm at a resolution at 12 µm centered about 3 mm above the surface of the platen. Perhaps you can get a 1 mm depth of focus at about 9 µm. But most importantly that figure does not specify a contrast at that resolution, which is important when looking for a smooth gradient in tone at that high resolution. For my measurements shown in the plot below I used a Toppan repeating USAF type resolution target sloped on the V750 platen such that the patterns run in and out of focus by a micrometer measured amount.

V750RESjpg by hypolimnas, on Flickr

You can draw your own conclusions from the plot but the general form of the DOF vs Resolution will be similar for all like Epson machines with the same lens design.

A following post below shows the V750 PRO resolution and contrast at the point of best focus for my machine.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Following is a resolution and contrast at that resolution plot for the Epson V750 PRO at the point of best focus for my machine (about 3 mm above the platen). Note the scan was done at 2400 DPI setting. I could only find a slight gain by scanning at higher DPI but did not take the time to quantify it.

Note the most important results. If you want 2500 DPI results you'll have to accept an abysmally low contrast of a few percent resulting in a severe compression of tones at that high resolution.
    Really acceptable tonal ranges can be obtained at contrasts around 50% but the DPI drops to 1500 or so. Plot reproduced below.

EPSONcont-web-1 by hypolimnas, on Flickr

Again, draw your own conclusions.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    For best focus using the 4X5 Epson carrier (high res lens arrangement) the focus is known to vary from machine to machine but seems to fall within the 3 to 4 mm above the surface of the platen.
    I've always been curious if the ideal height for the low res lens (for scanning 8x10) is actually above the platen, too.

It's supposed to focus on the platen, of course, but I suspect there's some variability among scanners w/ the low res lens, too.

For comparison, the ideal height for my 4990 (w/ its single, fixed-focus lens) is 2mm above the platen.

>>Perhaps Chuck can share the critical focus plane with us<<

As others have mentioned, this can vary for each scanner unit shipped so you have to test for the specific scanner that you own. I know people who have tested and said 2.5 mm was best. Others have said over 3 mm. It really varies.

Doug
    www.BetterScanning.com