Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Epson v700 or v750

Quote Originally Posted by lbenac View Post
    I have to say that for me it is impossible to see the difference between the two images. The second one is more contrasty. Depending on what software and setup you used for scanning there might have been sharpening already added to your scan.
    From my part I have found that my V700 was the sharpest at the default lower position of the 4x5 holder so I was not really tempted to buy the BS holder.
    I do have a BS holder with antiN glass for MF but as I have a Nikon 8000 I never really use it.

Cheers,

Luc
    Luc, yes you are right it is hard to see here. Maybe impossible. It is readily apparent in photoshop viewing the .dng files, but these images are .jpeg conversions. I disabled sharpening in the scanner and did no adjustments other than invert to make the image positive. I also don't know what the image upload process does here on this forum.

Suffice to say if one does this at home it will be easier to evaluate.

Glad you were fortunate enough to have a well adjusted scanner! I was not. I had to raise the holder significantly to get the scans sharp.

I think the bottom line for large format film is that even out of the box with OEM holders, the v700 is good enough for 4x5 and above. The scan ppi requirement is so low one just doesn't stress the capability of the scanner. It is only if you will also scan smaller formats (as I do regularly) that you will really appreciate the improvements of the 750 and the betterscanning holders.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.029159,116.510979

Re: Epson v700 or v750

Leigh & photobymike,

Read my and chuck's posts. I can't believe this continuous posting of erroneous information.

Ditto. Agree with Tony; tired of erroneous info being repeatedly spread by mis-informed individuals.

Both the v700 & v750 have dual lenses. IIRC, that is what the 'V' stands for, (variable, or choice of lens).

Do either, or both, of the Epson scanners come with Epson Scan?
    Wayne,
    Yes. Both the v700 & v750 include 'Epson Scan' in the bundled software package.

See page 9:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/lit_files/377.pdf

Thanks Marc. I actually went to the Epson page and confirmed that. As for the "V" prefix, Epson uses it for all of their flatbed film scanners.
    Is it possible to force the higher quality lens to be used for 4x5 or larger film sizes? Or does it happen at a certain dpi setting? I generally scan B&W at 1600 dpi. Will that setting enable the "good" lens?

Thanks!

Wayne
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Wayne,
    I haven't been able to do that. However, I currently have my v750 in a state of dis-assembly.
    I am attempting to convert my v750 into a glassless scanner.
    I sourced another piece of glass for the bed, and am working with a stained glass artist.

Her skills (and glass grinding/cutting equipment) will enable me/her to cut a hole in the glass
    exactly where, (and only where), the film holder places the 4 X 5 film. I purchased enough glass
    to make another bed glass where I will cutout a space for side-by-side MF holders,
    but again will use this mainly for 4 X 5: Two passes, then stitch in post processing.
    This will enable use of the High-Res lens for 4 X 5.
    Fingers and...toes, crossed.<grin>

Cutting the hole in the glass is akin to cutting a hole in a new kitchen counter top to receive a sink.
    The scanner still needs glass around the perimeter to hold the film holders, and read the register marks
    on the film holder, so 4 X 5 is probably about the largest the cutout will be. Maybe 5 X 6. I don't shoot 5 X 7.

Will be using the wet mount ANR(?) glass in the film holder, but will wet mount the film on
    the bottom of the holder glass, emulsion side down (facing the lenses).

Hoping to have this up and running, with trials, by mid summer.

Marc

Please keep us updated, I'd like to know how this goes.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Wayne,
    I haven't been able to do that. However, I currently have my v750 in a state of dis-assembly.
    I am attempting to convert my v750 into a glassless scanner.
    I sourced another piece of glass for the bed, and am working with a stained glass artist.

Her skills (and glass grinding/cutting equipment) will enable me/her to cut a hole in the glass
    exactly where, (and only where), the film holder places the 4 X 5 film. I purchased enough glass
    to make another bed glass where I will cutout a space for side-by-side MF holders,
    but again will use this mainly for 4 X 5: Two passes, then stitch in post processing.
    Fingers and...toes, crossed.<grin>

Cutting the hole in the glass is akin to cutting a hole in a new kitchen counter top to receive a sink.
    The scanner still needs glass around the perimeter to hold the film holders,
    so 4 X 5 is probably about the largest the cutout will be. Maybe 5 X 6. I don't shoot 5 X 7.

Will be using the wet mount ANR(?) glass in the film holder, but will wet mount the film on
    the bottom of the holder glass, emulsion side down (facing the lenses).

Hoping to have this up and running, with trials, by mid summer.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by Marc B. View Post
    Wayne,
    Marc
    Hello Marc,

This sounds very interesting. A few questions/remakrs:
    1) Would the lenses be in some way be optimized for the light going through the original glass?
    2) Why cut the glass which sound complicated if the only purpose of the remaining glass is to support the holder and register the holder. Would a simple clear plastic cut to size be easier?
    3) My undertsanding is that the use of the better lens is controlled by the software/driver i.e. if you select scanning with a holder it will use the better lens
    I will definitly follow your project :-)

Cheers,

Luc
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar P, F2
    [CENTER]6x6 # Minolta 1965 Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak 1946 Medalist II

I thought about Lexan, Plexiglass, even Corian, but was worried about reaction to Kami (lighter) fluid.
    Even though 'plastics' may work, I now have the ability to cut and dress the edges of the glass.
    This will make for a more professional mod, and I want the heft (mass) that the glass will provide.

Do you put your left shoe on first, or your right shoe?
    Either way works, just so long as the shoes match, and you get each shoe on the correct foot.<grin>

Marc

I mentioned removing the flatbed glass a couple years ago and everyone called me crazy.

O-N-F,
    I'm sure some of the usual suspects will do the same here, (flame/burn the idea).

There are probably a dozen different ways to work this mod, and everybody will have different opinions.
    When it's all said and done, it may just be a big waste of time; little or no benefit at all.
    If so, I'll just put the original bed glass back on the scanner, returning it to factory normal.

So far, I've got the glass cut into three pieces to fit the Epson's bed frame, (with all four edges polished) and
    I'm only out about $25. I enjoy DIY projects. Some results work...some don't, but it's fun.

Some folks may have flamed your idea of removing the glass, thinking you wouldn't be able to support
    a film holder, or hadn't explained how you were going to support the film/holder.
    Who knows? And, in many ways...who cares what others think or say? Just do it!

Marc